Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are your LQShops still open?

There was a question we all answered about how far away we must go to buy fabric and of course, which Walmart still sells fabric is always discussed.

I have a LQS 20min south and another, 20min north of my home. Both are thriving.

Today, I went to check out the one north of me to see her new location. Her place is bigger and better than her previous location, with a Coco's restaurant in the same group of stores and a big parking lot. She's doing really well there!

So, I'm curious, in this 1-2years of bad economy troubles, are all your quilt shops still OK too?

I've had a couple close. One because the couple that owned it wanted to retire, nothing to do with the economy. Another, by my mom's house was because of the economy. I'm bummed about both!!

I have one about 20 miles away, one about 45 min away and one an hour away (not close to home, but in the area where I work) and all seem to be doing well.

Blog Entries
    The main one I go to Ericas is open and thriving ! In fact I asked last time I was in and they gladly told me they are busier then ever :lol: And every time I go they have people in there and lots of cars in the lot . So glad they are doing well :wink:
    Sharon

I have one 10 blocks for my apartment she is doing ok.....I do what I can when I can to help her out LOL
    There is another LQS 40 miles away I dont see them closing anytime soon but you never know I have only been there twice.
    I know there are some in Amarillo but unless I HAVE to go I will not go just for fabric....if neither LQS have what I want, I wait or get it online.

Two of six shops nearby have closed, but fortunately not the one I frequent the most!

I only have one which is about an hour away, but they are always busy busy! Looking forward to visiting their stand at the Festival of Quilts in August

My LQS (less than 5 min. from my house) expanded last year and we are trying to talk the owners into expanding again to have more quilt class room!

Lately I don't go to my LQS. The cost of fabric around here is getting more and more expensive so for the last year or so I have been purchasing online. If I do need to get something I go to the quilt shop just around the corner from where I work. The fabrics are still pricey, but they have a nice selection

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    We have 2 in the town where I live. One has been there many years, Gingers. She has a good on-line business. The other one is across town and only opened 1 year ago. They are doing GREAT!! They are already needing to expand. They are great people. Both stores carry completely different fabrics. gingers is more novelty & lots of oriental. Borne Quilter is more the current fabric trends so it is a nice diversity.

The shops in the Buffalo NY area are still doing well. There are - let's see - two in the city and - four in the suburbs (within a half-hour of the city). There has been only one that closed within the last five years, and that shop had moved in from out-of-state (and the merchandise was just not as well suited to the local clientele as that of the other shops).

Other than the quilt shops, we have several JoAnns and one Hobby Lobby in the area.

Blog Entries
    There are only two real quilting stores semi close to me. Both are about an hour away. So far they are doing great business wise. There are sewing machine dealers closer to me with some fabric and a few quilting supplies but I get the hard sale pitch to buy a machine when I go there. I don't mind driving the hour for my shop fix.

I have several and they are all doing well!

Well it looks like us quilters are doing our best to help keep most of our quilt shops open, sort of our own stimulus for the owners, sure hope they appreciate our sacrifice!

Aggi... I'm like you; in the past 18mo, although I go to just look and get ideas, I don't go to my LQS to buy fabric because the cost is too high for me since I had to stop working for medical reasons. My stash was getting low, then I got 2 wonderful squishies from one of our members! So, now I have a baby quilt almost done and I've started a lapquilt--- for ME! I'm still using stash for BOM.

We had JoAnn's close here, but we are lucky. Our Walmart still sells some fabric, even after the redo. There are 3 LQS's in our area. The store my sis and I went to this week is wonderful. She had a Christmas in July sale for 2 weeks. Each day was a different offer.

I just received notice that a LQS between my house and Indianapolis is closing. Too be honest, I have stopped in there a few times but, really cannot remember ever making a purchase there. I think it was because they did not have a very large inventory. It was a store that was a bit off the path for me and after going there a couple of times, I didn't make a huge effort to get there again. That said, I am always sorry when a store goes out of business because it was probalby a favorite for someone. I am not sure the economy can be blamed for this store going out as much as competition from 3 other stores within a 15-20 minute drive from it.

Banned
    We have Quilted Strait here and its still open. I very seldom see people go in there, but don't look each time I drive by. Its on a main street downtown

The ones in Upstate NY all seem to be doing well. I try to do what I can to help :wink:

Only 1 in my area is closing. She is retiring & those interested in buying her out could not get financing. I will miss her shop.

We had two within 30 miles, but both closed a couple years ago. Even in a booming economy, it's hard for a quilt store to make a profit in a small town.

Not just quilt shops, but in any business. Well run businesses can and will do fine. I talked to a local guy who has an antique store and upholstery business. He pointed out that if you work (and I don't mean show up for a paycheck but actually work), hustle, show some ingenuity, there is a TON of work out there for the taking. He has noticed no slowdown.

Those stores with a good business model and that have built up a loyal clientele will do just fine. For example, I dropped off my sewing machine for service a week ago, and picked it up a few days later. She always gives a really good chocolate bar with a repair. She saw my husband was with me, and gave him one too. It's not a big thing. But it sure makes him not so fussy if I have to stop for some fabric!!!

From what I have seen, those stores that were on the edge prior to this temporary slowdown just can't pull it off. They were weak to begin with. Those that were doing well are doing ok and looking for ways to grow their businesses. When things fire back up, and they will, they we be poised to do very well.

Business failures are part of the business cycle. When a business fails, it's assets are purchased at a bargain by someone else with an idea. Getting a good deal on store fixtures and inventory may be all that's needed to get a good business model a fighting chance and an opportunity to succeed!

I am working at my LQS and she is doing well. All the shops in the Atlanta area seem to be thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Not just quilt shops, but in any business. Well run businesses can and will do fine. I talked to a local guy who has an antique store and upholstery business. He pointed out that if you work (and I don't mean show up for a paycheck but actually work), hustle, show some ingenuity, there is a TON of work out there for the taking. He has noticed no slowdown.

Those stores with a good business model and that have built up a loyal clientele will do just fine. For example, I dropped off my sewing machine for service a week ago, and picked it up a few days later. She always gives a really good chocolate bar with a repair. She saw my husband was with me, and gave him one too. It's not a big thing. But it sure makes him not so fussy if I have to stop for some fabric!!!

From what I have seen, those stores that were on the edge prior to this temporary slowdown just can't pull it off. They were weak to begin with. Those that were doing well are doing ok and looking for ways to grow their businesses. When things fire back up, and they will, they we be poised to do very well.

Business failures are part of the business cycle. When a business fails, it's assets are purchased at a bargain by someone else with an idea. Getting a good deal on store fixtures and inventory may be all that's needed to get a good business model a fighting chance and an opportunity to succeed!
    This is all VERY VERY TRUE!! Good post!

I agree with Shelly, here in Australia, many small businesses fail, within the first year or so...nothing to do with the economy...just wrong location, poor or overpriced stock and non-existent skills. We have only one remaining LQS, I go there quite often, even if it's just to buy needles, thread or bits and pieces. Oftentimes smaller stores just can't offer the discounts...so if you're on a tight budget you have to shop at the larger outlets.

What keeps people going back to the little guys....genuine, knowledgeable and helpful staff.

You're right about why LQS are more desireable; it's not just the fabrics and quilt specific tools, it's the knowledge of the people who work there!

I'll go to a Joann Fabrics, Beverly's Crafts, Walmart for cheaper fabrics but only if I do not need any advice. I go to one of my 2 LQS when I have a really special project requiring opinions, math for fabric amounts, or other help. My thanks to them is buying the fabric for that project there. These days I go there mainly to look and plan because I can't afford to buy fabric and all of you are helping me with questions, whether or not I actually did the asking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast