Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your opinion please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-opinion-please-t200917.html)

Scakes 09-21-2012 03:14 PM

I've never heard that about the black and white. I use whatever colors I think work best for the quilt I am working on.

captlynhall 09-21-2012 05:07 PM

Any statements that include "always", "never", "must", "only", "have to", "should", must be taken with a grain of salt. Nothing is absolute when it comes to making quilts. That is why there are so many beautiful and creative quilts out there.

collady 09-21-2012 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5525799)
I don't pay attention when the rules committee starts saying "All quilts should have....." or "you should never..."

What you want to use in a quilt is the only "right" there is in quilt making. That is probably the "only rule" that applies in making a quilt!

Ps 150 09-21-2012 05:13 PM

I was told when I first started learning to quilt to try to incorporate a touch of black into each quilt to make the other colors pop. It's not always practical, though, so I apply the advice when I can and don't lose sleep over the other times when I can't.

Edie 09-22-2012 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5525799)
I don't pay attention when the rules committee starts saying "All quilts should have....." or "you should never..."

I go by "MY QUILT - MY RULES"! I don't even use a color wheel. I look at what I am going to do, pick out the colors I am going to use and away I go! Haven't had a problem yet, have never done, NEVER, a quilt that I didn't love, regardless of whether I donated it, gave it as a gift or kept it for us. I do it the way I want to do it and that is when they turn out the best; your heart is in it, your soul put it together and I have done quilts, not black and white primarily (only because I am not keen on a black and white quilt), but people are and they make them beautiful. I can appreciate a black and white quilt because I know the quilter has her heart and soul in it! I ramble!!!!!!!!

You do what you feel in your heart and soul. Actually, I am cutting out squares right now to make the backing on a quilt - They are 5-1/2" square and I am doing them in pink, yellow, blue, green and violet - both dark and light. I separate the dark from the light, cut them out, put the dark in one bag, the light in another bag, shake the heck out of the bag, and pull a dark one from the bag, and a light one from the bag and proceed to sew them together. My mom taught me that! Turns out really neat!!!!!! Have done that a couple of times now and it is a great stash user-upper! Have a great day. Edie

bobquilt3 09-22-2012 09:40 AM

Hmmmmm, and I always heard that every quilt should have some red in it. Guess it depends on who you talk to. I think it's just that every quilt should have enough color and contrast to make it interesting.

batikmystique 10-25-2012 04:41 PM

I've never heard of this, but now that I have it hasn't changed my reply. A big no! Can't justify the overall look of a quilt to accommodate this.

Pat625 10-25-2012 04:58 PM

No way!! I just use what I like!! Sometimes there is black or white but that's rare in my quilts

GrannieAnnie 10-25-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by gramacheri (Post 5525768)
I have heard that every quilt should have some black and white in the quilt (for contrast or interest.) Have you ever heard of this idea and what do you think about it?

I don't follow rules!

Kat Sews 10-25-2012 05:33 PM

The only person that told me that was my great grandmother. She made beautiful quilts, and didn't do many scrappys that I can remember. She was born in the 1880's so I think this was an old rule. She also is the one who told me that rules were made to be broken.