Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is your sewing area 'inviting'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-sewing-area-inviting-t67190.html)

wvdek 09-30-2010 06:21 PM

For once my sewing area is a mess. I have too much on my cutting table, quite a few pieces that need ironed, etc. Oh well, schoolwork is more important.
DH and I are trying to come up with storage ideas that are nice but inexpensive. I would love that kitchen island from IKEA, but not gonna happen anytime soon.

DS and a friend are coming Christmas, so need to also clear the area for beds. Ugh, wish I had a guest room.

newbiequilter 09-30-2010 06:35 PM

The sign on my sewing room says "This is a work in progress - a genius works here - if you can't stand the mess, stay out of the room"

seasaw2mch 09-30-2010 06:44 PM

I can not work with a mess, it is to frustrating and I will walk out. I have to have organization in my sewing area. I'm that way about my kitchen as well so these two rooms are the neatest ones in the house.

brenda21 09-30-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I organized my room, now I can't find a darn thing and I don't feel comfortable in it.
So, I started a small project, pulling things out and "messing up" a little and I'm right back at home. Guess I love chaos......

Exactly lol

Annz 09-30-2010 06:48 PM

gYea my quilting room is kind of saying take a folding table and quilt downstairs for now.

cpfrog 09-30-2010 06:51 PM

ah HA!!!! So that's why I haven't felt like going in there! Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

Looks like I'll be doing a little (hahaha - ALOT!!!) of cleanup before I sew again.

I N V I T I N G ... that's the key word!

Thanks. Thanks for the heads up!

Quilter Day-by-Day 09-30-2010 06:59 PM

My room is pretty organized but kinda of a mess at the same time. I've always got scraps and pieces all over my floor. So I guess you would say it's inviting but messy.

canuckninepatch 09-30-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
The other night I noticed my sewing area was a disaster zone with STUFF laying allll over the place.
(I'd been busy in it lately :) ;-) )
It didn't 'invite' me to sit and relax and work on any sewy/quilty thing :shock: :shock:

So I TIDIED UP my sewing area for a couple of hours. I went from here to there and put things where they belonged.
Emptied the trash. Combined 2 boxes of like fabric into 1 larger box. Cleared off my horizontal surfaces.
Even sorted out my threads into like color groups (blues, whites, blacks, etc). You know that type of clean up.

Last night I felt 'invited' to start a project in this cleaned up sewing area where everything was in the place it belonged.
I had clean, open horizontal surfaces where I could spread out the new project and not lose any of it.
It was SOOOO NICE!!!! It was SOOOOO ENJOYABLE to work in the area.

Just thought I'd pass that on in case you don't feel 'invited' into your own sewing area.

You and I must be kindred spirits! I work on projects for a while, and then my sewing studio (my new word for my sewing room) just gets too messy for me to stand it. Then I'll take the time to get everything super organized and in its place, and I am SO motivated to work in it. I think I do better quality workmanship on my quilts even, when my workspace is tidy and organized. Does that make sense????

cathyvv 09-30-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
OK, I just had to share these great little words of wisdom from Singer on this post: Sewing Advice from a 1949 Singer Sewing Manual. Maybe it will make you smile too...

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing.

Think about what you are going to do.

Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically.

Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade.

When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

Put on a clean dress.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.

Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals.

Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on.

If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's a hoot!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What?! No white gloves?

featherweight 09-30-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
The other night I noticed my sewing area was a disaster zone with STUFF laying allll over the place.
(I'd been busy in it lately :) ;-) )
It didn't 'invite' me to sit and relax and work on any sewy/quilty thing :shock: :shock:

So I TIDIED UP my sewing area for a couple of hours. I went from here to there and put things where they belonged.
Emptied the trash. Combined 2 boxes of like fabric into 1 larger box. Cleared off my horizontal surfaces.
Even sorted out my threads into like color groups (blues, whites, blacks, etc). You know that type of clean up.

Last night I felt 'invited' to start a project in this cleaned up sewing area where everything was in the place it belonged.
I had clean, open horizontal surfaces where I could spread out the new project and not lose any of it.
It was SOOOO NICE!!!! It was SOOOOO ENJOYABLE to work in the area.

Just thought I'd pass that on in case you don't feel 'invited' into your own sewing area.

You and I must be kindred spirits! I work on projects for a while, and then my sewing studio (my new word for my sewing room) just gets too messy for me to stand it. Then I'll take the time to get everything super organized and in its place, and I am SO motivated to work in it. I think I do better quality workmanship on my quilts even, when my workspace is tidy and organized. Does that make sense????

It makes crystal clear sense!!!!!