Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your shipping tips? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-shipping-tips-t264220.html)

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-19-2015 02:39 PM

Your shipping tips?

What kind of great ideas do you have that could help reduceshipping costs?
When it costs more to ship an item than it's worth, there'sgotta be shortcuts!

luvstoquilt301 04-19-2015 03:58 PM

I use the priority boxes. The lines at the Phoenix PO are horrible. I pay for the postage online and our mailman picks them up at my door. I have had to just suck it up a couple of times mailing something that was not all that valuable.

ragamuffin 04-19-2015 04:18 PM

Check with Greyhound bus lines. They ship it for you and if it is on their line, it may get there the next day.
Safe too.

bearisgray 04-19-2015 04:53 PM

Basic shipping costs are based on weight and size of the item.

An ordinary ten pound rock would cost a lot more to ship than a ten carat (uninsured) diamond.

oklahomamom2 04-19-2015 04:57 PM

Ya, I would use priority boxes too, last time I went to the post office they were able to help me so that it would cut the cost down as much as I could to ship my donation items.

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-19-2015 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin (Post 7170244)
Check with Greyhound bus lines. They ship it for you and if it is on their line, it may get there the next day.
Safe too.

didn't know they shipped things...only problem is the nearest terminal is about 50 miles from me...

PenniF 04-19-2015 07:32 PM

If the item is large but light in weight, you might want to think about buying a space bag so that you can reduce the size of the folded quilt and therefore the box. Many people don't realize there is a calculation for "dimensional weight" to figure shipping costs - for items that are large but don't weigh much. Also, sometimes, Fed Ex ground rates can be cheaper than the post office.

Feather3 04-19-2015 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am (Post 7170132)
What kind of great ideas do you have that could help reduceshipping costs?
When it costs more to ship an item than it's worth, there'sgotta be shortcuts!

I shipped a queen size quilt, extra fabric & a few other small items in the largest priority flat rate box (12" x 12" x 5-1/2") the post office has. Flat rate is around $17.90 (under 70 pounds). Add extra insurance & it'll cost a little more. Comes with free tracking. I folded my quilt long ways, down to about 12 inches. Then accordian folded it to fit in the space bag & box. Those space bags can really give you added space. Wal-Mart carries a couple brands of space bags. I bought the cheaper ones. I went to USPS website & printed out my label. When you take it to the post office you get a reciept with a tracking number. Give them your e-mail address & you get auto notices for tracking.

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-20-2015 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 7170472)
If the item is large but light in weight, you might want to think about buying a space bag so that you can reduce the size of the folded quilt and therefore the box. Many people don't realize there is a calculation for "dimensional weight" to figure shipping costs - for items that are large but don't weigh much. Also, sometimes, Fed Ex ground rates can be cheaper than the post office.

wow, everybody says the rates between Fed Ex & post office are about the same..i'll have to remember to check Fed Ex...will have to google space bags, too...

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-20-2015 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3 (Post 7170499)
I shipped a queen size quilt, extra fabric & a few other small items in the largest priority flat rate box (12" x 12" x 5-1/2") the post office has. Flat rate is around $17.90 (under 70 pounds). Add extra insurance & it'll cost a little more. Comes with free tracking. I folded my quilt long ways, down to about 12 inches. Then accordian folded it to fit in the space bag & box. Those space bags can really give you added space. Wal-Mart carries a couple brands of space bags. I bought the cheaper ones. I went to USPS website & printed out my label. When you take it to the post office you get a reciept with a tracking number. Give them your e-mail address & you get auto notices for tracking.

never noticed space bags before, but it sounds like it works, thanks!