Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your shipping tips? >

Your shipping tips?

Your shipping tips?

Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: greater NorthEast
Posts: 3,004
Default Your shipping tips?

What kind of great ideas do you have that could help reduceshipping costs?
When it costs more to ship an item than it's worth, there'sgotta be shortcuts!

just_the_scraps_m'am is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
luvstoquilt301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 1,018
Default

I use the priority boxes. The lines at the Phoenix PO are horrible. I pay for the postage online and our mailman picks them up at my door. I have had to just suck it up a couple of times mailing something that was not all that valuable.
luvstoquilt301 is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 696
Default

Check with Greyhound bus lines. They ship it for you and if it is on their line, it may get there the next day.
Safe too.
ragamuffin is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 04:53 PM
  #4  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 22,763
Default

Basic shipping costs are based on weight and size of the item.

An ordinary ten pound rock would cost a lot more to ship than a ten carat (uninsured) diamond.
bearisgray is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 04:57 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 556
Default

Ya, I would use priority boxes too, last time I went to the post office they were able to help me so that it would cut the cost down as much as I could to ship my donation items.
oklahomamom2 is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 06:12 PM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: greater NorthEast
Posts: 3,004
Default

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
Check with Greyhound bus lines. They ship it for you and if it is on their line, it may get there the next day.
Safe too.
didn't know they shipped things...only problem is the nearest terminal is about 50 miles from me...
just_the_scraps_m'am is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
PenniF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Texas formerly The Burgh
Posts: 3,392
Default

If the item is large but light in weight, you might want to think about buying a space bag so that you can reduce the size of the folded quilt and therefore the box. Many people don't realize there is a calculation for "dimensional weight" to figure shipping costs - for items that are large but don't weigh much. Also, sometimes, Fed Ex ground rates can be cheaper than the post office.
PenniF is offline  
Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 609
Default

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
What kind of great ideas do you have that could help reduceshipping costs?
When it costs more to ship an item than it's worth, there'sgotta be shortcuts!
I shipped a queen size quilt, extra fabric & a few other small items in the largest priority flat rate box (12" x 12" x 5-1/2") the post office has. Flat rate is around $17.90 (under 70 pounds). Add extra insurance & it'll cost a little more. Comes with free tracking. I folded my quilt long ways, down to about 12 inches. Then accordian folded it to fit in the space bag & box. Those space bags can really give you added space. Wal-Mart carries a couple brands of space bags. I bought the cheaper ones. I went to USPS website & printed out my label. When you take it to the post office you get a reciept with a tracking number. Give them your e-mail address & you get auto notices for tracking.
Feather3 is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 AM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: greater NorthEast
Posts: 3,004
Default

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
If the item is large but light in weight, you might want to think about buying a space bag so that you can reduce the size of the folded quilt and therefore the box. Many people don't realize there is a calculation for "dimensional weight" to figure shipping costs - for items that are large but don't weigh much. Also, sometimes, Fed Ex ground rates can be cheaper than the post office.
wow, everybody says the rates between Fed Ex & post office are about the same..i'll have to remember to check Fed Ex...will have to google space bags, too...
just_the_scraps_m'am is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 AM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: greater NorthEast
Posts: 3,004
Default

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
I shipped a queen size quilt, extra fabric & a few other small items in the largest priority flat rate box (12" x 12" x 5-1/2") the post office has. Flat rate is around $17.90 (under 70 pounds). Add extra insurance & it'll cost a little more. Comes with free tracking. I folded my quilt long ways, down to about 12 inches. Then accordian folded it to fit in the space bag & box. Those space bags can really give you added space. Wal-Mart carries a couple brands of space bags. I bought the cheaper ones. I went to USPS website & printed out my label. When you take it to the post office you get a reciept with a tracking number. Give them your e-mail address & you get auto notices for tracking.
never noticed space bags before, but it sounds like it works, thanks!
just_the_scraps_m'am is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bebe
Main
3
05-16-2011 11:55 AM
craftybear
Links and Resources
5
09-23-2010 11:57 AM
craftybear
Links and Resources
6
09-19-2010 07:09 AM
Esqmommy
Links and Resources
0
10-07-2009 06:00 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.