Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   THE YUCKY PART (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yucky-part-t5152.html)

Bernadette Harwood 03-25-2008 06:08 PM

I would say not quoting the right price as it seems it always takes longer than I think. Like the king size one I'm quilting now. It took forever to sandwich it and it is extremely hard to squeeze it all in my machine to quilt. WHY !!!!!!!! Do I always get in so deep. Guess I just like to help everyone, but me. :lol:

Debra Mc 03-25-2008 06:53 PM

The part I dislike the most is ripping out points that aren't perfect. I nearly lost my religion on a star type I made for my husband. The points weren't going in like I wanted so I kept ripping them out. I finally got them right. Also those nasty little threads can be eliminated with one of those cheap clothes lint rollers. I keep one on my sewing machine.

chamby 03-26-2008 05:14 AM

I hate putting the sandwich together. Getting everything smoothed out and pinned is a hassel.
Chamby :x

EvelynRn 03-26-2008 05:20 AM

I hate having to sew fabric together for the backing. Next least favorite is making the sandwich.

Joan 03-26-2008 05:53 AM

I find cutting to be very time consuming. Thank goodness for rotary cutters, neat cutting mats and rulers that I can even understand. Doing things straight and square has always been a challenge for me so I have to really concentrate to make sure the cutting is accuarate. (because if it isn't, it's all down hill after that LOL). Once my fabric is cut up, the rest of the process is just joy........
~Joan

Marylou 03-26-2008 07:09 AM

After reading all your yucky parts of quilting, I find that I agree. However for me, the sandwiching and pins, pins, pins, then re doing because of wrinkles is the worst part. My daughter wants a quilt that is make almost entirely of 9 patches. Each block has 9 small 9 patches, and we need about 25 blocks, so I anticipate cutting 1.5 inch squares from now til doomsday. That will probably become my most yucky job. Marylou

Sallyjane 03-26-2008 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the planning, designing, the cutting out of the fabric. That is by far my favorite part of quilt making. As far as the "yucky" part, I guess it would be when I lose enthusiasm for the project because the sewing of the blocks takes too long. Once the blocks are done, I enjoy putting everything together. The qulting is a challenge for me, but I do enjoy it, especially when I do a good job, which happens from time to time = )

Sallyjane 03-26-2008 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am new to posting on a message board. This is the picture I meant to attach. Let's see if I get it right this time!

sandpat 03-26-2008 12:31 PM

What a pretty quilt! You did a great job on that 1!

Betty Ruth 03-26-2008 06:27 PM

Debbie, have you tried putting something on that underneath finger. I've heard of a spoonlike gadget to use underneath. That sounds awkward to me, but it must work for some. An aunt of mine used to use a thimble on each hand. Other people that I know use adhesive tape on that under hand.
Betty