Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on fabric? >

Printing on fabric?

Printing on fabric?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 AM

I have the bubble set rinse and use it and I have both an hp and epson. Both are fading. Not a complete fade just enough to make the picture fuzzy.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
are you sure you are using Bubble Jet Set?

they make a companion product called Bubble Jet Rinse, which is just a mild detergent you can use as an afterwash. it's about the same strength as woolite.

does the printer ink wash out completely, or just fade more than will be useful? if the problem is serious fade vs. total washout, are you by any chance using an HP printer? not all of their newer inks are the greatest for printing on fabric - even with BJS. the manufacturer discovered that a few years ago and now sells a special formula for use in HP printers. i never got around to testing it, so i can't tell you whether or not it will solve the problem. neither of my printers now is an HP.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Have you tried the sheets/products from Electric Quilt? I haven't personally tried them, but I have heard good things from other people.

here is the link:

http://www.electricquilt.com/shop/shop.asp

Good Luck!
Rose Hall
Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 AM

I make my own fabric sheets out of muslin and freezer paper.
print my photo on either my canon and/or Hewlett Packer. Let it dry for several hours. Rinse in cold plain water only, let dry and then iron with hot (no steam) iron. I have never seen the need to the Bubble jet product....
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM

I got on the net to find mordants and have even tried the alum and vinegar and have tried it like you did with no treatment and it washes out. I have used about 3 yards of muslin and 2 sets on printer cartridges trying different things. I appreciate all the feed back. I am willing to try anything. My daughter has an embroidery machine and she said she would embroider squares of wildflowers for me if I can't get this to work but mom is so into her flowers I know she would rather have her photos.
I am checking the electric quilt sheets and may try them too.
Thank you, Thank you.

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I make my own fabric sheets out of muslin and freezer paper.
print my photo on either my canon and/or Hewlett Packer. Let it dry for several hours. Rinse in cold plain water only, let dry and then iron with hot (no steam) iron. I have never seen the need to the Bubble jet product....
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

hope you get a solution to your problem
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Everyone on this board are wonderful. I appreciate all the help and suggestions.
Lynda
Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz
I could use some suggestions. I am trying to make a quilt for my mother using her pictures of wildflowers. I have tried the bubble jet set and the ink washed out. I tried using a soda ash solution in reverse osmosis water and the ink washed out. I have an HP printer and an epson printer and find the same problem with both. I tried the special expensive sheets that are pretreated, about 3 or 4 brands and some of them were even worse. Do I need a special fabric? Or is there a way to set the ink in the fabric? If anyone can help me here I would sure appreciate it. I quess I am saying it wrong the ink doesn't all wash out just so much of it that the picture is very faded.
Funny, someone else was talking about printing on fabric today. I answered them here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125840-1.htm#3337657. If you want sepia look, or the bright cyanblue prints, this would work, but not for multi color printing. But, thought I suggest as an alternative if what you are doing won't work. Good luck, be sure to show us your finished quilt!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM

Printed Treasures has always worked quite well for me.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 PM

I use soft scrap sheets. Most of those other sheets are really stiff after you take the backing paper off and these turn out really nice. Not stiff. I haven't had any problems with running ink. I have an HP ink jet. They also offer different kinds of material. Website is www.softscrap.com.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 AM

I use June Tailor and follow the directions on the back. The pictures aren't photo-paper quality but they aren't bad either. I don't quilt through the squares, just around them.