Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on fabric >

Printing on fabric

Printing on fabric

Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 AM

I am designing a landscape wall hanging. I need a certain design and color of fabric that I have not been able to find. Photo of my fabric is attached. Has anyone used their inkjet printer to print on fabric with success? I have used my HP Photosmart to print on the fabric but the ink doesn't set even using a solution called Bubble Jet Set. I have a laser printer but hesitate to use it. Any suggestions out there?

My Snowy Woods printed Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151906[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-151901.jpe  
Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 AM

I have a laser and I haven't ever tried printing on fabric because I read somewhere that the printing process uses heat and if you run a freezer paper through it, it will make a mess of your printer. But I can't remember where I read that,or if it was a reliable source. I just prefer to be safe rather than sorry.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM

I use my HP Photosmart to print on fabric frequently and it works fine for me. I prefer to use Printed Treasures pages for the fabric, and have not tried doing my own fabric with freezer paper. The photos are not as bright as the original, but close enough for what I do and I have only used the resulting fabric on items that don't get washed a lot. The inks seem to set fine for me. Different papers require different ways of setting the ink - have you made sure that you've used the proper setting technique? Some iron, some rinse with cold water, etc. Your fabric is beautiful and I am anxious to see the final product
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM

You cannot print on fabric with a laser printer because of the heat (butterflyblue-you are correct). My DH builds the cartridges for those printers. He said the heat could burn the paper and the fabric.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

i print on fabric all the time...you can NOT use a laser printer...you will ruin you printer...as long as it is an inkjet printer it will work. also according to a recent study done by one of the quilt magazines who tested printers and ink for fabric printing...if you use re-filled ink cartridges the ink will run right out of the fabric when water is ran through it. the magazine...that tested all of the normal 'brands' came up with HP and Brother ink jet printers working the best for this application and the HP ink was the most permenent. it is important that you pay the higher cost of the good-name brand inks, off brands will not hold up. i always let me fabric set and *cure* for 24hours after printing...giving it plenty of time to saturate the threads and dry...then i heat set with my iron, and set aside again...i spend up to a week heat setting and setting aside before i finally go to the sink, peel off the freezer paper and run cold water through it...some color always washes away but when i use my good HP printer the picture remains crisp and clear with good color.
always make sure to start with fabrics that are either PFD fabrics (prepared for dyeing) or at least pre-washed with a mild detergent...no fabric softener. then press--no starch or sizing...the whole reason to pre-wash is to remove any chemicals/additives that may keep the fabric from absorbing the color...so don't wash it away, then turn around and re-add it...
visit the Dharma Trading Company web site, they offer lots of free information and everything you need to successfully create your own fabrics.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Thanks. I will follow your suggestions.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Lots of good info here. I've printed on fabric for at least 15 years.
I use to always iron freezer paper to muslin and then run it through. Now for more permanent things I use Timeless Treasure paper.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Do a search of the board for info on laser printing on fabric. You CAN do it easily, safely and with great results. It is only the ink jet pre-treated products like Printed Treasures that cause trouble in laser printers, not, I repeat NOT, fabric attached to freezer paper.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM

I used to use Printed Treasure paper but have found that the June Taylor brand seems to have a more clear picture and works well. It's called Sew-In Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet Printers. I got it at Joanne's using my coupons. I have also used freezer paper and muslin as well as other light or medium light solid fabrics with it but have found that I need to put a piece of tape across the top overlapping both pieces so it doesn't get caught up in my printer. You also need to adjust your paper weight. My HP printer has that feature. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 PM

I have used the Jacquard brand material to the best success with printing my designs. Other brands have not had the intensity of colour that I want. I follow the instructions that are in the packet and have had no problem so far. I use a Canon pixma printer on the strongest or most vivid setting possible.