Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing pics on cloth >

Printing pics on cloth

Printing pics on cloth

Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Which "printable fabric" does everyone use. Or do you make your own, and if so what product do you like best for preparing the fabric?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 AM

I have the Epson Artison 810. I've been printing pictures of flowers on the Printed Treasures. It does a great job...and yes, it's an ink jet.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 PM

We have a HP 5780 all in one. At first I had a problem with fabric feeding (I iron it onto freezer paper) then I explored the set up and realized it had a special setting for it. The color is amazing and I'm very happy with it. Have an old HP 720 and it works well still, but it's difficult to find toner for it now. I had looked at several and glad we decided on this. It has a flat bed so you can copy onto fabric as well.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 PM

I make my own, usually with bubble jet. If I know it's not going to be washed, I usually just print it and set it with an iron. I'm going to try the mix recipe that was on here this week though. Sounds easier and cheaper than bubble jet.
Originally Posted by JillC
Which "printable fabric" does everyone use. Or do you make your own, and if so what product do you like best for preparing the fabric?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 PM

I have an HP3210 All in one , works great. It has the Vivera Inks. Individual color cartridges.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 PM

What if it will be washed??
Old 03-19-2011, 03:39 PM

At one time I did use Bubble JetSet to treat my own fabric and then ironed it to freezer paper, but my printer does not handle that well - it often jammed and I have a scar on the back of my hand to prove how hard it was to remove all the bits and pieces from inside the printer!! For that reason I prefer to buy pre-treated and have always used Printed Treasures brand (use your 40% or 50% coupons from JoAnn's). The inexpensive HP printer I have now does a pretty good job but I would like a printer that will allow me to enlarge or reduce designs. If anyone has used another brand of pre-treated fabric, I would be interested to know more about it. The Printed Treasures sometimes gives me a hard time when I try to remove the paper from the back.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by quilterella
You need an inkjet printer. I had one and it worked great ( a small HP from Walmart for less than $200.00) and then my DH decided to upgrade it to a HP Laser printer. Nice machine but not recommended for printing fabric as it gets too hot. I really miss my little inkjet!
You can send documents to more than one printer. I'm not sure how, but I know you can.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Susan_Sews
I have an HP3210 All in one , works great. It has the Vivera Inks. Individual color cartridges.
Thats what I had and it worked great!!! I now have a Kodak that my daughter gave me for xmas - havent tried it yet

I just use the printable cloth from JoAnns _ I think you can buy it at walmart also. Does this need to be treated so it can be washed - want to make my daughter a quilt of all the deer horses etc from their farm but it will definitely have to be able to be washed lol
Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 PM

Although I have bought the Printed Treasures brand of pre-treated fabric from JoAnn Fabrics, I am not sure if that is what you are referring to - it comes in a package of 5 or 6 sheetss each one 8 1/2" x 11". Whatever kind you buy, just make sure the package says the fabric is washable after printing, because there are some types that require dry-cleaning.