Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing picture on fabric >

Printing picture on fabric

Printing picture on fabric

Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 AM

Default Printing picture on fabric

Want to print a few photos on fabric for a throw that will be hung on a wall. After printing and drying, what needs to be done to make it more permanent?
Old 08-29-2017, 05:36 AM

You should use treated fabric which can be purchased at a quilt shop. Or, there is a liquid that you can soak the fabric in, can't remember what it's called. I had some at one time, purchased at a quilt shop also. Just follow the instruction given with either method. Not sure if you can make it permanent without the treated fabric. I'm sure others will chime in who know.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:58 AM

You have it better than we did. It was soak in white vinegar and salt water to set. It did work. I found a shirt with some of my own artwork on it from a long time ago. It was worn quite a bit years ago, and the artwork is still there in one piece. It might only be a tad fainter, but it hasn't run or anything like that. I also don't sort clothes when I wash so mistreatment hasn't killed it.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Use Printed Treasures fabric and heat set the image with your iron after it's done. That's my only experience and it was successful.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:11 AM

Just watched this on u-tube. Lots of info there. Also printing on tissue paper. Didn't know that could be done.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM

I bought the June Taylor photo fabric to make quilt labels. If I remember correctly, you only have to iron it to make it permanent. However, it comes out really hard and "unpliable" for lack of a better word (like canvas). I did get the the label sewn on there by hand with lots of struggling trying to get the needle through the fabric. (I don't think it would be possible to hand sew the fabric without a thimble.) It must have taken 30 minutes to get a 3 X 4 label sewn on. If I use those labels again, I'll make sure I can machine sew them. Of course, I had procrastinated making the label for weeks, and had to get it done at the last minute. (The quilt was already finished.) So, the label did not get washed before being attached. That may have changed things.

As I said, washing after printing may have made it easier to work with. Another brand might be different. The home made version might be different. This is my one and only experience with the printable fabrics.

edit: I take that back. I tried ironing the fabric to freezer paper (the first step to the homemade version of photo printing), but they all got stuck in the printer and I decided that was not the way to go.

You can also get them printed on fabric at Spoonflower.com. You send them the digital files of the photos you want printed, tell them what fabric you want and they will do it. I don't know their fee for this, though.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 08-29-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

used to use bubble jet set and i think the other was bubble jet rinse. just don't iron over the photos. they may not like it.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:20 PM

I found the June Taylor fabric too stiff. I have used this company's products:

http://electricquilt.com/online-shop...-fabric-paper/

I was pleased with the outcome.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM

Thanks for your help
Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I bought the June Taylor photo fabric to make quilt labels. If I remember correctly, you only have to iron it to make it permanent. However, it comes out really hard and "unpliable" for lack of a better word (like canvas). I did get the the label sewn on there by hand with lots of struggling trying to get the needle through the fabric. (I don't think it would be possible to hand sew the fabric without a thimble.) It must have taken 30 minutes to get a 3 X 4 label sewn on. If I use those labels again, I'll make sure I can machine sew them. Of course, I had procrastinated making the label for weeks, and had to get it done at the last minute. (The quilt was already finished.) So, the label did not get washed before being attached. That may have changed things.

bkay
that has been my experience