Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: problem with blanket turned inside out

Hi, I was trying to make a simple baby blanket the other day that has a pieced top made of charm squares. I didn't want any border or binding, so I just used a backing fabric and batting, sewed the 3 layers together, turned it and was planning on topstitching around. Even though I pinned and used a walking foot, the layers didn't sew up evenly, now one side is a little longer, and the whole thing is a little out of shape. Is there any trick to getting all the sides sewn evenly?

Thanks!

i have the same problem

Blog Entries
    That's one reason why I prefer to bind the usual way.

Power Poster
    You did everything I was going to suggest.

And here I thought this would be such a time saver! But I have seen blankets made that way that looked nice, so I'm hoping someone will still share their secret with us!

Did you use a walking foot. I had that problem and a friend said use the walking foot. It worked for me. Good luck.

Yes the walking foot does solve the problem. Learned this the hard way to.

Quote Originally Posted by gertz
    Did you use a walking foot. I had that problem and a friend said use the walking foot. It worked for me. Good luck.
    Yes, I pinned and used the walking foot.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie1001
    Quote Originally Posted by gertz
    Yes, I pinned and used the walking foot.
    You almost have to use the walking foot in putting the 3 layers together as 1 layer will most likely feed thru at a different rate. (Clear as mud!) Than turning it right side out to top stitch or do any decorative stitching you need to keep that walking foot on. Also when doing this method, pin, pin and more pins!

Were all three layers the same size and squared up after you layered and before you stitched before turning?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Were all three layers the same size and squared up after you layered and before you stitched before turning?
    Umm, not exactly sure how you are supposed to do that. I layered them so the top was on top, the other two layers were bigger than the top, and as I was sewing I just used the edge of the top layer as a reference. I guess I did not square them up then. I thought leaving the batting and backing bigger than the top would be the way to go. But maybe not?

Blog Entries
    I believe that would be your problem. All three layers must be the same when they are laying out flat.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I believe that would be your problem. All three layers must be the same when they are laying out flat.
    Okay, sounds like I have to redo the whole thing (kind of knew that already). Thanks for all your help!

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were doing the envelope method (sometimes called pillowcase method) of finishing where you sew the backing and the top, right sides together on top of the batting leaving a space to turn it right side out and then slip stitch the opening closed after you turn it. Maybe that's not what you meant?

Blog Entries
    yep,Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day does that but she makes it look so easy. machine quilting a turned quilt like that isn't easy. tieing them is best.

Blog Entries
    I do what I've heard called 'birth' a quilt...I think that's what you're trying to do. Sewing all the way around = leave a good opening and turn it right side out and then top stitch around the border.

I leave my batting and backing larger than my quilt top. The top is truly square. I layer it just like a regular quilt by taping it 'taunt' to the table and then pin the heck out of it - both in area of the quilt top and along the edge.

I have 2 waiting to be sewn right now. If you'd like to see a picture of my pinning - let me know.

Another hint I did not see with a quick look at posts---stitch one way then turn the quilt and stitch back.... Like turning around and going back down the road. Start at top of quilt with first row of quilting, then start at bottom of quilt with next row of quilting.

This works with quilting then binding or pillow case quilting.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Yes, all three layers need to be the same. If they aren't cut the same, lay them flat with the smaller fabric on top. Then stitch them like they were flat and trim after sewing.

Blog Entries
    Yes, all three layers need to be the same. If they aren't cut the same, lay them flat with the smaller fabric on top. Then stitch them like they were flat and trim after sewing.

Blog Entries
    The envelope, or pillowcase, method works fine for me. I layer the pieces as described, making sure there are no wrinkles or puckering in the layers, then pin;
    stitch all around; trim off any excess beyond whatever seam allowance I want (I state it this way because often with these turned quilts I leave a full 1/2" seam allowance, so when I turn and topstitch 1/2" from the edge it makes a pleasing filled edge);
    turn the whole thing right side out;
    top stitch and it's all good to go.
    The easiest way I've ever seen.

I used the birthing method on one quilt and found it to be harder than just sandwiching it. I'll stick to that method.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    I do what I've heard called 'birth' a quilt...I think that's what you're trying to do. Sewing all the way around = leave a good opening and turn it right side out and then top stitch around the border.

I leave my batting and backing larger than my quilt top. The top is truly square. I layer it just like a regular quilt by taping it 'taunt' to the table and then pin the heck out of it - both in area of the quilt top and along the edge.

I have 2 waiting to be sewn right now. If you'd like to see a picture of my pinning - let me know.
    That sounds like it's exactly what I was trying to do. And yes, I would appreciate a picture very much! Maybe I didn't use enough pins and that's why everything shifted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Another hint I did not see with a quick look at posts---stitch one way then turn the quilt and stitch back.... Like turning around and going back down the road. Start at top of quilt with first row of quilting, then start at bottom of quilt with next row of quilting.

This works with quilting then binding or pillow case quilting.

Good luck.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Sometimes when you sew in the same direction things get all whacky. I even do this when sewing strip sets together, so there is no wave.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie1001
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere

That sounds like it's exactly what I was trying to do. And yes, I would appreciate a picture very much! Maybe I didn't use enough pins and that's why everything shifted.
    Hope this helps. Hopefully I can get these sewn this weekend and post more pictures for you...and get them FINISHED for me!

batting on bottom left corner then backing right side up then top right side down
    Name:  Attachment-101142.jpe
Views: 74
Size:  32.9 KB

Top on top right side down - hope you can see pins
    Name:  Attachment-101143.jpe
Views: 73
Size:  35.0 KB

Hi there,

thanks a lot for the pictures! Looks like you're doing this with a fairly decent sized quilt. Mine was only 30 by 40 or so. I did indeed not pin enough, and also, I think I didn't iron everything as flat as I should have. Though I should know better by now, every now and then I still try to take shortcuts and think a certain step isn't really necessary, but every time I get punished by having to redo something. Maybe this'll teach me ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast