Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with no waste flying geese method >

Problem with no waste flying geese method

Problem with no waste flying geese method

Old 10-16-2016, 09:49 PM

Default Problem with no waste flying geese method

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. When I lay the two small squares on opposite corners of the big square, the corners overlap exactly like they do in the tutorials online. But when I have cut the large square diagonally and I add the second one, the overlap from the previous stage is visible on the front of the flying geese. It also adds extra layers to my seam. I don't have a picture of my block unfortunately but the posted picture shows where the extra piece of fabric sticks out.

I have now added the extra step of drawing a line where the two corners of the small squares overlap and cutting these off before stitching. This turns out fine but I am wondering if I am the only one getting this extra piece of fabric sticking out where it shouldn't when following the tutorial instructions? Am I missing something? None of the online tutorials suggest cutting the overlapping corners off. I hope my explanation makes sense.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560390[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails flying-geese-example.jpg  
Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 AM

It look correct to me. Once you square up the unit, the points or "dog ears" will come off. It's hard to avoid extra layers at the intersections. Sometimes you can vary how it's pressed to help with that.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 AM

All the overlap is actually inside the seam allowance and you will not see it once it is sewn into the quilt. I agree with katier825 - once you trim up, that tab will get cut off.

I used this method to make over 300 geese for a border. If you are making a lot of these and strip piecing them, I found better results by cutting the small 4 squares a little larger(maybe 1/4 inch). It gave me some "wiggle room" in trimming then up.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:08 AM

They look correct to me. I just nip off the little bit of extra fabric.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

that's the way they are supposed to look. As mentioned above, it's the seam allowance for when that unit is joined to the next.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:24 AM

you are doing GREAT.......this is how it suppose to come out...cut the ears off....( make sure to keep the square alive taking under consideration that you will probably attach it to another square or border...(I am usually having problems to keep mine perfect..... Good luck !
Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Looks good to me!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I have to say that I don't understand the dilemma. Your picture looks correct. Are you talking about the 1/4" above the point? If you didn't have that, you would cut off the point during assembly. Are you talking about the dog ear? I just trim that off before assembly.

Recently I bought the Easy Angle Ruler and the Companion Ruler for this type of geese construction. They provide a flat top on both pieces so the alignment is really easy and dog ears are reduced.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:27 AM

I would pin both on and take the siscors and cut where they overlap, both at the same time. Never caused prolems later on. I hated the extra bulk and only took a few seconds more to do.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Personally, I prefer doing my flying geese by Eleanor Burns' method:
https://www.quiltinaday.com/televisi...geeseruler.asp

The geese seem to be created faster, and more accurately for me this way, and I don't have any "leftover" corners.
Just my 2 cents' worth...