Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem-stitch in ditch >

Problem-stitch in ditch

Problem-stitch in ditch

Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 AM

My first quilt, besides the class I took, I decided to stich in the ditch. I lined everying thing up square, and started stiching. The bottom fabric is getting pulled all over the place. Am I suppose to stitch lengthwise first, I stitch crosswise first, which could be my problem. But also not sure if my pressure foot is too tight (I did use a walking foot). Anyone's opinion would be appreciated!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I always start at the center and work out. On small quilts I SID center to bottom, center to top, center to right center to left. Center to top r corner, etc. Hopes this helps.

I first layer (by taping down backing-right side down, then batting, then top). I then pen about every 3-4" with safety pens some quilters baste rather than pen.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 AM

ok, thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

and you might change your stitch length to a bit longer. that helps with the pull on the fabric.
do you have a walking foot/quilting foot? if not, a teflon one or plastic. those go over fabric easier too.
good luck.
oh next time you might try using spray basting. 505 or Sulky. or even fusible batting you iron on.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 AM

I pin and baste, not taking any chances here!!! I also go center up, and then center down, and then center across. Keep going until its all done. Of course removing the saftey pins as I go. Lace
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, all you wise machine quilters!! I need to start learning and stop being a scaredy cat :D:D
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Pin twice as much as you may think you need to :wink:
Each time you start sewing, sew in an opposite direction the next time.
A walking foot is really nice to have for this kind of quilting.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM

I have been using a walking foot. My machine is 40 years old, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sannianni
I have been using a walking foot. My machine is 40 years old, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it!
The age of your machine is not the problem, probably! They usually sew better than the new ones. :shock:

It really does sound like you didn't pin/baste enough. My quilt teacher taught us that we'd pinned enough if our hand, fingers spread, covered at least five pins.

Don't give up! You'll get better, as we all did.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I spray-baste (holds the quilt sandwich together better, IMO) and I heavily starch the backing fabric before layering. This prevents the backing fabric from stretching out of shape when quilting.

If you don't want to take the sandwich apart at this point, I suggest spray starching both the front and back. Lay out a large flat sheet to catch overspray and lay the sandwich on that. Spray from the outside edge in to minimize overspray, let it dry, and spray maybe twice more. Turn the sandwich over and do the other side the same way. This will stabilize both the top and backing so there will be less stretching as you sew.

How thick is your batting? It's much easier to quilt thin batting than high loft batting.

Also use a walking foot.