Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with Superior Thread and FMQ >

Problem with Superior Thread and FMQ

Problem with Superior Thread and FMQ

Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM

I use King Tut all the time and love it.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SandySews View Post
I use King Tut all the time and love it.
I use King Tut for FMQ, and Masterpiece for piecing. I wouldn't change for the world. It's an awesome combo, and provides the best results for me. I also love, love, love the customer service at Superior Threads, and the teaching videos and charts. I'm a long time seamstress but relatively new to quilting, and there IS a difference. Superior Threads really helped make the transition easier. Can't say enough good things about them and their products.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM

I'm another one that uses King Tut exclusively when quilting on my frame. Works every time!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM

I use Isacord on my long arm almost exclusively. I can buy it locally and it works really well. I never use cotton for free motion quilting but I do for free motion embroidery.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 AM

I use Superior's "So Fine!" #50 for FMQing with beautiful results. I think needle size is important when FMQing. But the fact that your machine is making a grinding noise makes me wonder if it is time for a machine doctor visit. Please let us know how you solve your problem!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM

Hi everyone.
Thank you SO much for all your help and suggestions. Bellaboo, I just love the idea of Silk thread for FMQ. The King Tut for FMQ and the Masterpiece for piecing as has been suggested makes a lot of sense. I have really learned a lot, so thanks for that.
I am actually going to put my machine in for an overhaul too, as I dont think there would be any harm in getting that done now also!
Hopefully I can get that done in the next two weeks and will see how things go. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 AM

Apart from making sure that your machine is running correctly, I would advise a top stitch needle and try your tension at 2-3.5. A tension of 6 sounds too much to me. Good luck with it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Nine times out of ten, it is your needle size. Check what needle is supposed to be used with the type of Superior thread you are using. Ask how I know.....took a FMQ class with my new 8900 that had perfect FMQ at home with a different thread, then I used a "special thread" for the class project. After a hour of breaking, shredding thread and problems with FMQ stitches....I was really upset with this new machine....then I took the spool off of the machine and inside the cone was the needle required for that thread....immediately changed the needle...ABSOLUTE FMQ PERFECTION. Who would have thought?
D
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM

I have learned a lot from this question and th eanswers supplied by the board members. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 AM

I would change my needle, rethread EVERYTHING, turn the machine off, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on. Then try again. If you have grinding noises still, Stop using the machine until you can have someone look at it. First try is to look at your owners manual to see what they suggest for settings. Hope this helps