Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with warped quilt >

Problem with warped quilt

Problem with warped quilt

Old 05-17-2020, 08:49 AM

I agree with the others who suggested blocking the quilt.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:43 AM

Default Problem solved

It's taken me a week of work to finally solve the problem I had with my Lone Star with Borders quilt / wall-hanging. I followed the advice of several of you, so for all your help! Here is a brief account of what I had to do to flatten the badly "cupped" center medallion, the Lone Star:
1. Removed the binding
2. Added much more quilting in order to level out the overall loft of the whole quilt
3. Shirred areas of edges that were wavy and replaced the binding
4. Blocked the warped centre area using misting with water and a steam iron, then put it under large, heavy books overnight - I had to do this three times
5. Made four long, narrow pockets and adhered them to the back using Ultra Heat & Bond. I tried to stitch them on by hand, but it was too hard to stitch through the quilting. I cut slats from heavy card and threaded the slats into the pockets
6. Made extra hanging sleeve for the bottom of the wall-hanging and used a light weight net curtain rod in it to give the quilt a bit of extra weight to hold it straight.

Even with all of the above, I have to admit that it is not completely flat BUT it looks good enough for me, and I'm pretty fussy about such things! I can''t thank you all enough for your encouragement and advice! I thought that quilt was just going to have to become a lap quilt and never reveal it's true beauty! I'll see if I can add a photo so you can see it. I'm thrilled that it has turned out so well, thanks you all of you!
Attached Thumbnails 20200525_115110-2.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-25-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-25-2020, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Looks good to me!

Did you figure out where/when the cupping started?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 AM

It definitely started with the Lone Star - not surprising with so many bias edges!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Well done and perfect for Memorial Day weekend!