Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with binding?? >

Problems with binding??

Problems with binding??

Old 11-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Problems with binding??

Do you all pin your binding after you turn it over? I sure have to pin alot and then the pins poke me while I am sewing. I still cannot figure that end part to sew the last pieces together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM

I do not pin until the very end when I'm joining the ends. I just proceed slowly inch by inch. I think pins and clips just get in the way.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=PgX_gGJYEac

This is a easy to understand tutorial on joining the binding. If you want to hold the binding in place, try the hair clips that kind of snap open and shut instead of pins. Much less painful. I only use about three at a time and just move them along as I move along. They sell them now at fabric stores but I think they are still cheaper at walgreens or cvs or target.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I do not pin until the very end when I'm joining the ends. I just proceed slowly inch by inch. I think pins and clips just get in the way.
I agree.....pins and clips just get in the way and it takes a lot of extra time to put them in and stopping to take them out. I use the ladder stitch so no pins or clips are needed.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 PM

the trick to getting your binding to lay perfectly flat is to fold it AHEAD of where you are working...fold smooth over the seam, smooth to the edge, smoothly around...STRAIGHT around the edge...no scooting to take slack out above where you are working, if there is ANY slack, it needs to be stitched out now....

now pin or clip with the hair clips mentioned above or a pin or two... i just do 2 or three 3" sections at a time and then blindstitch these...but BEFORE taking off the last clip...make your new folds and clip...moving that fabric at a 90 degree angle around the edge is THE key and most people that have problems with binding find this is the root ... scooting the slack down the quilt as you work just gets further and further off...

ending the binding? easy-peasy..... this happens on the first round of stitching, usually by machine on the front side... begin the binding a few inches away from a corner, not the middle and not a corner.... matching the raw edges together, leave 4-6 inches unattached...pin/clip the first 2 or 3 sections....NOW go back to the loose end. with raw edges to the right, and loose end above, put your right thumbnail RIGHT ON the first pin and hold firmly...use left hand to fold the loose end down on a 45 degree fold, the loose end will be straight across the binding (exactly perpendicular) and the fold will be on the bias (the 45 degree fold).... begin your machine stitching where the folded join meets the quilt, at the appropriate spot for your particular binding width.

you will sew all round the quilt making the right kind of corners when you get to them... and when you are coming back to the beginning, you will lay the end of the binding over the original bias fold, pushing the top pc of binding just a tiny bit to the inside of the first pc. this is just so when they fold they come out the same... i'm talking about 1/16"... just a smidge.... this end goes approx 2 in past the low point of the bias fold. After folding to the back and making as flat as possible, then you will trim the extra that was only left there so you had a little 'handle' to work with. when you do the second half of the binding by hand, it will appear that you have made a bias join, the seam will be flat, look great and there is no real reason to even close the little opening but many of my students do. i don't bother, the finished edges are well away from the opening and i make my binding 1/2" wide so it never shows....
Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

I don't pin it at all any more until I am attaching the final ends when sewing it onto the front.
I used to pin is all along the back before I did the hand stitching but have found it easier not to pin it at all.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: remove personal website from post
Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

i don't pin at all. i just 'finger pin' as i go along.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

I just hold it with my fingers.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 PM

I found that if you starch your binding before sewing it on quilt front, it really lays down pretty good with out pins. You could iron it before you sew it down that also helps.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM

I use glue! Here's the Tut that shows how.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ue-t29275.html
This was the first tut that I ever used from this board & I love it! Actually I now use elmers glue sticks for a lot of piecing! I'm not fond of pins.[h=1][/h]