Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: In the process of quilting my first quilt ...

And one thing i wasnt expecting is the regular " shoulder " breaks im having to take ! I feel like ive been lifting weights for a week !! :)

You must be quilting a really big quilt. Good luck with your first attempt! Be sure to post pics, everyone will want to see!

Blog Entries
    relax and breathe..put some music or head phones on..

Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    You must be quilting a really big quilt. Good luck with your first attempt! Be sure to post pics, everyone will want to see!
    Its only a baby quilt ! am i doing something wrong ?
    :oops:

Blog Entries
    you get tense, when you first start out quilting..
    do you drink? my friend has a glass of wine and puts headphones on with her favorite music.
    i don't drink, but i do put the stereo on, and i roll my shoulders, breath..take breaks..

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeesews
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    Its only a baby quilt ! am i doing something wrong ?
    :oops:
    How high is the chair you are sitting in? I don't have a table that my machine sits in, so when sewing I have a computer chair as high as possible and its OK for sewing, but for quiting it was another story. I actually used a kitchen stool to sit on and my arms were at the right height and I was then able to look down on what I was quilting instead of leaning into it.

Made a HUGE difference! I was quilting a 104 x110 quilt and it was wrestling an alligator!

:-D

It could possibly be the chair , im sitting at the dining room table using the chairs , will trade it for computer chair at high height , see if that helps , thankyou .

Blog Entries
    Height and posture makes a huge difference. Get yourself as high to that table as you can, so your arms actually rest at a 90 degree angle to your machine bed.

I found when I was learning I tense up- it's the pressure you are putting n yourself.

Relax, shrug your shoulders every so often and enjoy the movement of the quilt. Take breaks and admire your work. caress the quilt, it will relax you.

I get into my quilting. :)

Just relax. I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

That same thing happened to me on my first quilt. Someone recommended using "Machingers". These are quilting gloves that have a bit of "tack" to them so that it's easier to have control of all the fabric without using so much of your muscle strength to do so. And I was so pleasantly surprised...they made a BIG difference! You can get them at most LQSs.

I often find my shoulders up around my ears when I'm quilting, so I've made a new habit: every time I lift the presser foot I make a point to drop my shoulders. Helps keep me from tensing up so much. :)

Blog Entries
    Set a timer for 15-20 minutes, then stop sewing, stretch, raise or lower your chair an inch or two and then reset your timer.
    Moving your chair up or down just that little bit will make a big difference :D:D:D

Ditto on get yourself up higher on your chair.
    For all my sewing I use a drafting chair ... the regular office chairs are just a little too low for me even at the highest point. The drafting chair's lowest is the same as the highest of the office.

And in so doing, you may discover it too far to the ground .... and may need to put a platform for the footpedal and your feet.

As said .... relaxxxxxxx (yes, easier said than done!)
    and breeeeeeeeeathe deeeeeeeeep, innnnnnn, ouuuuuuut!!!! :)