Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Procrastinating.... >

Procrastinating....

Procrastinating....

Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 AM

I am sure you can get these done what ever method you do. I am at that point right now, I have to get a king size hand quilted binding on. For Christmas. We can work together on it.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 AM

If it really looks okay, as you said, the recipient will probably never even think about it as less than perfect. After all, the rest of the quilt was done on a sewing machine wasn't it. Just be careful that it is all pinned as straight as it can be and do the short side of the smallest one first. If you are not positive, do the corners by hand and the rest on the sewing machine. The corners are always the hardest for me to get just right.

sincerely
sueinbarre
Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 AM

I almost always machine stitch my binding. Normally I cut the top a little larger than the back and then fold it over and stitch. Sometimes I cut the back larger and fold it over the front.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
cjr

For what its worth -- I sew my binding by machine on the back, then turn and machine sew on front. My hands would not be able to hand sew binding all around. Also much, much faster. I have heard of others here doing this way also. It works. Quilt police be damned - Full speed ahead. Projects get FINISHED not sitting in UFO
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Well, I really feel the oddball because I love doing the binding, sewing it on, and then handstitching down on the back. I think it's because then I know I'm almost done and can start on another project. I usually have three or four going at the same time, so it just means adding another one to the mix.

What is it that people don't like the binding?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with machine binding, I just don't get a very nice result when I have tried it. I made 6 placemats as a thank you gift for a friend of mine and did machine binding on those. I wasn't very proud of the way it looked but, I had procrastinated (my middle name)on them for so long just had to get them sent. :)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Here is some encouragement for you. i just picked up my DH quilt from the LAQ yesterday. I am now making the binding for it-9 strips WOF to make sure that I have enough to go around. I sew it on the back and bring it around to the front. I then use either the 3 step zig zag or a decorative stitch and sew it down. If I had to sew them down by hand, I would probably have a lot more UFOs. My advice is to tell yourself"I will work on this quilt for 15 Min. and start sewing. I had to do that on a UFO and I had it finished in no time. READY SET SEW!!!You can do it!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 AM

I don't mind binding as much as I dislike Sandwiching. ugh... But I've only sewn One binding by hand. My first quilt. After that I just machine stitch everything. Because I learned to quilt from watching Simply Quilts, and quilting books, and because I've never done the quilting part with a group, I thought I Invented the method. hahahaha... until I joined up with this board. I'm not kidding. I never told anyone for fear they would roll their eyes and write me off as lazy. and I guess I am lazy. Just wanted it to be my little secret. shhh....

Sew the binding to the back first. Then stitch it to the front. Straight stitch, blanket stitch, or decorative. If I didn't do it this way, I'd have 30 quilts in a stack wishing they could be bound and loved. lol...
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM

Love your quilts, love charm packs,too. Once you get started, it won't be so bad. Binding is easier than the quilting to me.

PS: I liked what you said on the other thread.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM

I am just finishing up 8 throws for Christmas gifts, sizes from 60 x 60 - 78 x 84 and all are machine stitched binding front and back. I start by attching the back binding first bring it forward and then stitch it in the front. Works fine and all recipients have no quilting knowledge so i figured why kill myself?