Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Professional Maintenance of my sewing machine >

Professional Maintenance of my sewing machine

Professional Maintenance of my sewing machine

Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 AM

If a machine is used as much as yours then you need to have it cleaned every year. My Bernina tracks the number of stitches and when the last cleaning was. Phil (the Bernina) also gets a computer update when he goes in for maintenance.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I have the same machine. I took it to be cleaned and they did not do it. Listed things they were suppose to have done, just to make money off of me. I won't go back, never liked any of them for years, no one else in the area. Since then I have someone to take my machines to. I have not had that machine cleaned. I sew for hours at a time on the weekends, only about 3 hours or so each evening. Clean visible areas and oil it. When they quit working I will have them serviced. I have three back up machines.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 PM

My sweet Janome goes once a year for his spa treatment. I clean/oil on my own but I still send it once a yr.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM

My DH is a professional technician and he said for someone that uses a machine that much it should be tuned and cleaned ideally twice a year or at least once a year.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 AM

[QUOTE=Jingle;6377293]I have the same machine. I took it to be cleaned and they did not do it. Listed things they were suppose to have done, just to make money off of me. I won't go back, never liked any of them for years, no one else in the area. Since then I have someone to take my machines to. I have not had that machine cleaned. I sew for hours at a time on the weekends, only about 3 hours or so each evening. Clean visible areas and oil it. When they quit working I will have them serviced. I have three back up machines.

This has been my philosophy, too, and for the same reason. This is my second TL98, and my first one required service after 9 years because I was having problems with it. I took it to a local dealer who supposedly serviced Juki's and had nothing but trouble with them. Now, the closest Juki service for me is in Cleveland, Ohio, and I live outside of Rochester, NY. My plan is to send it to them in the Spring for a cleaning and adjustment. I do not use it as much in the summer as I do in the winter, and it will be easier for me to do with out it then.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 AM

Ladies - thank you all so much for your replies. I am going to start having it serviced more often.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:59 AM

I have the Juki 98Q and had it for about 10 years (at least). I also maintain it regularly with cleaning and oiling and have never taken it in for a professional cleaning. It still works like it did when I got it, and I sew on it for MANY hours a week. I do take my computerized machine in once a year because they are made so that you can't work on them. I have several old straight stitch machines and maintain them myself. I think the older ones (and that is how the Juki is made) are very straightforward and easy to work on .
Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
My DH is a professional technician and he said for someone that uses a machine that much it should be tuned and cleaned ideally twice a year or at least once a year.
What kind of things does a technician to a machine that is sent in for an annual service check-up? I hope that didn't sound cheeky because I'm sincerely curious....