Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Project for 9 year old sewer >
  • Project for 9 year old sewer

• Project for 9 year old sewer

Old 08-16-2013, 07:21 AM

One of the first 4-H projects is a drawstring bag. Choose a fabric with a theme she loves. Google a pattern.
    Old 08-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Our DGD was sewing on the featherweight briefly a couple of Summers ago, and loved it. I had some Blue Check Gingham. It made it easy for her to stay on the line where there was something already there for a guide. She just made straight lines that day. She wanted to come back to make something using the same fabric. They moved, tho, so it made it more difficult. I wouldn't have thought of the check fabric had I been trying!! It just came to me as I pulled it out of the stash. Good luck!Mariah
    Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 AM
    Power Poster

I think that a doll quilt might be a good place to start, it's small enough that it will finish quickly and she will have wonderful memories of you making the quilt together. Also a simple 9-patch or even a one-patch lap quilt would be a good project. At that age my Mom was teaching me to sew simple aprons (although people don't use them as much any more, however, I'm sloppy when I cook/bake, so I always have one available), gathered and pleated skirts and in addition, teaching me embroidery. Those are still very special memories to me, especially since she passed away over 40 years ago, but they are a true treasure to me.
    Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM

My daughter's first projects were a simple skirt with an elastic waist, a pillow case,9 patch and 4 patch blocks. She made a doll quilt with her blocks. She's 26 now and makes many of her own garments. I taught her to sew when she was 10.
    Sharon
    Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM

I taught my niece to make tube pillowcases because it was something that could be completed in a short amount of time and was a fairly easy project. Being able to see the quick results gave her the confidence she needed to realize she could sew. Sewing is now one of her favorite hobbies and she is learning to quilt.
    Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM

Jenny Doan has a utube on a skirt made with a charm pack....and how about shorts. My GD is 10 and we made a tote bag and another one of her friends Sydney made the skirt and did the jellyroll race....she just loved the Jenny Doan utube videos. Sydney watched them over and over to make sure she was doing it right...everyone wanted to know where she learned this and she said her Nana in NJ......I was tickled since she is not my GD...
    Old 08-17-2013, 02:14 AM

My very first sewing project in home ec in 7th grade was making a gingham half apron and we measured everything by counting the squares on the gingham. It was really cool. I wish I could find a pattern for that apron on line. It was super simple. The skirt of the apron was gathered and the waistband/ties were really easy to attach.

I hope you have fun teaching your young lady how to sew. She will love you for the lessons and the memories will never leave her.
    Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Kids this age seem to like those drawstring backpacks, there are lots of free patterns/tutorials online. I have made a few and used ribbon (because that is what I had on hand) instead of cording and they went over well with the kids I made them for.
    Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    My Grands first quilts were big 4 patches. They're easy to do and give the kids an early success.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t119952.html

I was going to suggest this as well.
    Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 PM

My 9 yr granddaughter recently made tissue covers-the ones for pocket size tissue pk to keep in a purse. There are several free pattern if you google pocket tissue covers. They come out really cute, are fast & easy, a confidence builder. We her help I made 90 from animal prints for the local animal shelter to use for a fundraiser.