Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Which project comes next?

Which project comes next?

How do you decide what to do next, when you have a bunch of projects in your head, and in your stash but none have a deadline?

i have so many quilts i could do right now that i have a spreadsheet but none has a deadline so i haven't been doing them? i have just been doing block swaps, and doll quilts and watching too much tv.

ideas?

I do whatever makes me happy at the time, Live life to the fullest

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a WIP for the oldest GD who didn't know about it (was going to be a surprise). Backfire she surprised me with a request from a photo she sent of a scene on a video! I have no idea what it's from but 2 little girls sitting on a cushion on top of some very elaborate carpet with a violin in the background and birds in windows. Her sister is suppose to be sending a request also. Luckily the younger DGDs just want their favorite colors. The video scene involves a lot of applique! Oh Well!

Pick out a friend or family member who needs a special hug, or is having a birthday soon, and pick out one of your UFO's that you think that person would like, and make yourself a deadline. OR - commit to entering it in your local county fair or quilt show, if anything like that is coming up in the near future. OR find a friend who also quilts and challenge them to finish something with you.
    As long as we live, there is never enough singing. Martin Luther

Just when I have my mind made up for a quilt, someone comes up with a request for something they want me to make for them so that is the one I make. I guess that is one reason for my big stash.

Blog Entries
    Many fun opportunities here!

* Print out your spread sheet, cut apart so each project is on 1 piece of paper, fold pieces and put them in a bowl or some other pretty container. Draw out 1 piece of paper and make that project.

* Start with the UFO that has your favorite color in it.

* Start with the oldest.

* Start with the newest.

* Start with the smallest.

* Start with the biggest.

* Start with the one that is almost done.

* Go by seasons. Is there a summer quilt to finish and use before the end of summer? Is there a quilt to finish before the beginning of autumn so that it could be used during the whole season? Is there a Holiday table topper you would like done so you could use it during the Holiday season.

* Pull out several of your favorites and set them on a table. While you have your eyes closed, have someone else mix them up and you pick one to work on now.

* Start with one using a technique you have never used before.

* Start with one using a color you don't care for or have never used before.

* Have a friend pick one out for you.

I think sometimes we have to play little games with ourselves to keep us going. I tell myself - Karen - do something! - you're wasting daylight!

Have fun with this! Once you get started on a project, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and that will pull you through to the next project.
    Last edited by KarenK; 07-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."
    Garrison Keillor

Blog Entries
    KarenK....you are funny.....love your ideas.

I guess just pick one and start.

Blog Entries
    I just finished a top that was a BOM, a twin-size quilt for DGS, and still have two more twin-size quilts to finish. BUT I'm going to do a wall hanging next that is just for pure fun. I'm afraid of burn out and I don't want these twin-size quilts to become a chore.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

i love all of your ideas. i will have to look my projects tomorrow while i am moving them to a new shelf and see which one strikes my fancy. if that doesnt work i will try Karen's ideas. i have one that i want to practice quilting on but i am waiting for my machine back from its tune up. i am using my daughter's janome magnolia and its driving me a bit bonkers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by landers1 View Post
    I do whatever makes me happy at the time, Live life to the fullest

I have to DITTO this!!!
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    I am retired and can do what I want. I also have a box with quilts I want to make in on scrap pieces of paper I put my hand in and hey presto I have a pattern.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have a bunch of patterns percolating in my head and as a I finish one project one of the others comes bubbling to the top. Just finished a Little Houses quilt in "spa" colors and before I'd even packed it up ready to send I'd already started a shabby chic D9P. Next may be a zig-zag or baby blocks - whichever comes to the forefront. Having a full-time job definitely interferes with my life.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Sounds to me as if you are doing just what you want to at this time. I made a list of all my UFOs in order of how close to being done they are and started with the ones closest to being complete. Working down the list to those that may still be in the construction or planning stages. This is working well for me and I have a lot of them to finish, like about over twenty. peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop