Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Projects using Linen >

Projects using Linen

Projects using Linen

Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Default Projects using Linen

Have any of you fellow quilters used linen in your quilts. I have some beautiful linen fat quarters that were given to me that I would love to do something with. I was wondering about pin cushions - do you think this would work?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM

http://www.elegantstitches.com/heirloombks.htm

I have quite a few patterns. Have had no reason to do, but like looking at them.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Here is a short article with tips on using linen in piecing. It is a beautiful fabric but requires different techniques. It will ravel and cause seams to release so it requires using a larger seam allowance and/or use seam finishes.
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/07/...ng-with-linen/
Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM

i LOVE working with linen.

there is a huge variance in the textue and weave of linen, and i always prewash to get a better sense of the fabrics true weight and hand.

i haven't had any trouble with seams yet....fingers crossed.

it doesn't present any problems in piecing for me, but i have had some challenges with shifting/warping/stretching while quilting it. i think maybe more pins or better thread basting might help, but i just accept it as part of the project.

you are thinking about making small projects. i say use that gorgeous stuff in a quilt quilt. linen is warm, washable and wonderful. it's right at the top of my favorites list

aileen
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i LOVE working with linen.

there is a huge variance in the textue and weave of linen, and i always prewash to get a better sense of the fabrics true weight and hand.

i haven't had any trouble with seams yet....fingers crossed.

it doesn't present any problems in piecing for me, but i have had some challenges with shifting/warping/stretching while quilting it. i think maybe more pins or better thread basting might help, but i just accept it as part of the project.

you are thinking about making small projects. i say use that gorgeous stuff in a quilt quilt. linen is warm, washable and wonderful. it's right at the top of my favorites list

aileen
Aileen, I may take your advice and put this beautiful fabric in a big quilt. I just didn't know if it would hold up or not. What size seams do you take.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 AM

http://ayumills.blogspot.fi/p/pattern.html
See these PinkPenguin tutorials, she uses a lot of linen. I have made about all of them and they make lovely presents. I also bought her book, just for the sake of linen projects.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM

I had some linen in dusty pastels, made pillows and tacked a handmade doily or other vintage handwork to each one. Came out nice.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM

I am making Amy Gibson's 2014 BOM. In the January block, Amy used linen as part of the block. Her block looked beautiful.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM

I have often wondered about making a quilt from 100% linen because I adore its texture.

I make almost all of my own clothing from linen. My white and natural linen pieces have lasted through several hundred washings each and still have lots of wear left, the dyed pieces fade about the same as quilting cottons. I pre-wash 2-3 times (wash in warm water with detergent and vinegar rinse, dry all the way, wash in cool water, dry all the way, wash in cool water, dry all the way) to be sure that the shrinkage is done. My preferred seam finish for longevity is a french seam; a felled seam will perform just the same, but takes longer. I edge-stitch hems, cuffs, and collars. Sometimes I use my serger to finish a seam, but only for speed, I don't like the way the stitches wear with lots of usage. All of these methods involve at least two lines of stitching. I use tear away stabilizers for buttonholes and Steam A Seam lite 1/4" for hems and edge stitching.

If I were to quilt with linen, I would reserve it for sashings, borders, and as a background for applique. I would either use two lines of straight stitching or one line of straight stitching and serge the raw edges.

I don't use a special sewing machine needle, but I do use the same 100% cotton thread I would use for piecing.