Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros/cons/opinions on silk batting, pls >

Pros/cons/opinions on silk batting, pls

Pros/cons/opinions on silk batting, pls

Old 01-22-2024, 09:06 AM

Default Pros/cons/opinions on silk batting, pls

I have bought a Q size quilt batting and now I’m hesitant to use it. Seems I read or heard some 'cons' about it, but I don’t recall if it was about the care, the quilting of it, weight, warmth, etc. I would appreciate comments . It was not to be used in any specialty quilt, just a cotton patchwork to be used normally. TUIA for responses.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:09 PM

I've never used it, it's not readily available in shops in my area. But I hear it's dreamy.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:21 PM

Hobbs Batting's website provides information about their silk batting. You can view their information here:

https://www.hobbsbatting.com/product...-silk-batting/

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:22 PM

I have used Hobbs silk batting in a few of my quilts. It is a dream to quilt and has a very nice drape to it. Two of the quilts I used the silk batting were hand quilted and the other was machine quilted. The quilts are about 10 years old now and they have been washed and dried many times - they still look great with a great feel and drape to them.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:21 AM

Thank you for the responses, especially from Sync re the wash ability and ease of quilting. I will reserve my batting for a special quilt for my son, as I normally donate to our local cancer ctr. The silk is expensive and you just don’t know where donor quilts end up eventually. So this one will stay at home. Thanks again for taking time to answer my questions. Have a wonderful quilting day!
Old 01-23-2024, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
I have used Hobbs silk batting in a few of my quilts. It is a dream to quilt and has a very nice drape to it. Two of the quilts I used the silk batting were hand quilted and the other was machine quilted. The quilts are about 10 years old now and they have been washed and dried many times - they still look great with a great feel and drape to them.
Sync ... Anything special to know when washing quilts with silk batting? I am guessing cool water, (maybe warm at best) and not too hot for drying? I have a quilt batting that I will be using for a quilt for myself, very soon. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2024, 06:48 PM

QuiltE, I wash my quilts in cold water and throw them in the dryer at a low heat level. Nothing really special.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
QuiltE, I wash my quilts in cold water and throw them in the dryer at a low heat level. Nothing really special.
Thank you. Sync!