Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckers at leaf corners >

Puckers at leaf corners

Puckers at leaf corners

Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Default Puckers at leaf corners

I have been working on my first needle turn applique project, and it seemed to be going well. It is a large piece of background fabric with 38 leaves. I noticed some puckers at my outer leaf points, but they didn't seem too noticeable. Tonight I finished the leaves and pressed the block, and now that the background fabric is smoothed out, those puckers are much more noticeable. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong at the points to make this happen, as there are no puckers anywhere else besides the points. Has anyone else encountered this when appliqueing outer points?

Last edited by joe'smom; 06-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Well, it's been awhile since I've done needle turn. However, I used to taper trim to the points being careful to leave enough fabric to turn under. If all else failed, I used a toothpick to place a very small drop of water soluble glue to tack it down until I could get it sewn down. There are tons of books, tutorials etc. that deal it the problem. The only other thing I can think of that might contribute to the problem is that the thread is being pulled a bit too tight in this area. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from those who are far more up to date than I on this technique. The quilt sound exciting. Please post.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

With that many pieces with points it is going to be difficult to not get some puckers in the background. Try sprit zing the block with water and iron face down on a plush surface. Sometimes a high pile towel with help to let you it on the background flat but allow the appliqué sit in the pile. Thus has helped me when there are quite a few appliqués sewn to the surface of a block.
I have the same problem sometimes with appliqué from pulling the thread a little too tight. I put my background in a locking embroidery hoop to avoid this problem.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

GREAT suggestions Tartan. THANKS, I have just started again doing applique.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM

I ended up writing to Becky of 'Piece O' Cake', because it was her book I learned applique from. She was so nice, and answered right away. I sent her close-up photos of the pucker problem, and she suggested I make sure to smooth out the background on the back before I took that first stitch on the second side of the point. I tried that on my current applique project, and no puckers! The puckers are not too obvious on this piece, and I don't think they will be an issue once it is quilted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485915[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imgp7877.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 AM

If you pull your thread to tight it will make puckers. Use a toothpick with a little water on it to trun under those points it makes them stay pointed unstill of rounded
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Also, I think it's true that for applique on a piece that's going to be quilted, the stitches do need to be a little tighter, because quilting will draw up the background a little bit. Long ago when my mother taught me to applique on flat work, like dresser scarves, she always emphasized leaving my stitches loose. The first time I made an applique quilt and did that, the appliques kind of "floated" and the stitches showed.

Daffy
Old 08-02-2014, 02:21 AM

What a creative quilt. Needle turn appliqué is on my bucket list. I have the supplies and taken lots of classes but am too busy long arming for others (which I love) to do at this time. Pressing on pile and quilting should diminish the look of the puckers and people will be admiring the quilt's beautiful layout and color sense rather than focusing in on your leaf points.