Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckers >

Puckers

Puckers

Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 AM

Great information!!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 AM
Banned

Every quilt I do I NEVER prewash the fabric or batting and starch it like there is no tomorrow! :mrgreen: I also have never tried spray basting but on this king size I am working on, but spray basting is really looking good.

But if I ever have any puckers in my backing (which is often :mrgreen: ) they are easily hidden when I wash it for the first time. Since I make and quilt all of my quilts on a treadle I like the vintage look it gives when the fabric and the batting shrink at different rates. And I wash my quilts on warm/cold so it helps with the shrinking/vintage look.

So if you have a quilt that puckers in the back or front just keep a treadle in your home. If someone ask why its puckered just point at the treadle! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

My first attempt at machine quilting, my quilt had pleats. It takes practice and patience. Read and practice, read and practice.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 AM

My first try at machine quilting had so many puckers I cried. Then after ripping it all out, I decided that tying was a lot better!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Teacup
When I read the subject of this thread, "Puckers," I keep thinking it would be a great name for a dog or cat. My mind works in strange ways...my DH and I have an ongoing dialogue and are always popping up with weird names for animals.
LOL! I agree! Next cat I might totally have to use that one!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

If it puckers, the sandwich wasn't taught enough. I tape my backing down too and I make sure that it is not lose on the surface. Then I lay the batting down and make sure that it is patted out as taught as it will go. Lastly, I put down the top (which is well-pressed) and I pat it out too to where the entire batch is nice and smooth. Usually, I don't pin right away, but walk away - relax my shoulders and give the top another "pat down."

I pin baste no less than hand-width apart.

My last quilt had no puckers at all and I do SID in both directions.

BTW, as long as the puckers are small, they will almost disappear in the wash. (Some of my earlier quilts are blessed with a healthy dose of the little nips.)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM

I tried almost everything mentioned here... and still had puckers. I finally bought one of the John Flynn Frames (seems to be one of those love-em-or-hate-em things). The first quilt I tried came out perfectly without puckers. The "good" quilt that began this whole thing is patiently awaiting my quilting skill to improve sufficiently to do it on the Flynn Frame.

It does take a large space to use which could be a problem and the quilting space is limited to the width of your sewing machine throat. But -- no puckers.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup
Several people here recommend really seriously starching the backing fabric. Some do spray starch and some do liquid. Go to "Search" at the top of the page, put in "Starch" and you'll get lots of information. Both for cutting accurate pieces and getting a smooth backing, lots of people starch.

Someone recently said on one thread that you can add spray starch to your backing even if you have it already basted to your quilt. I've never tried it myself but I thought it was an interesting suggestion.
I need to try the basting spray.