Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: puff biscuit quilt.........help

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I want to make a puff quilt however I don't know how much pollyfill I will need for a 40x60 quilt. I googled it and all it says is fill the pocket. I know you can fill them as little or as much as you want to but I have to order the filling so I need some idea of what to order. It comes in 3 lb bag but I don't know how many to get.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????????????

Power Poster
    Sorry I haven't made one of those!

one bag will be pleeeeentyyyyyy! I made a queen and didn't use the whole bag and felt my biscuits were too full.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    one bag will be pleeeeentyyyyyy! I made a queen and didn't use the whole bag and felt my biscuits were too full.
    was it a 3 lb bag you used????????????

Blog Entries
    i made a queen and one for my cat Xanadu. fluff up the stuffing b4 you put it in the pockets.

Blog Entries
    I received some sample packages of cotton stuffing to be used for door prizes for an annual quilt show a friend and I hold. It's so nice. http://www.quiltbug.com/batting/stuffing.htm

I would think a 3 lb bag would be plenty, but I haven't done a biscuit quilt myself. I just know that a little polyfil goes a long way :)

Blog Entries
    The tendency is to overfill the biscuits. Doing this will make them hard!

Blog Entries
    i'm working on a biscuit quilt as we speak - and i've already used one bag of fiberfill and started on the next. don't remember name but i bought it at walmart. i did get some biscuits too full . my base block was 4" and top block was 5" if that gives you an idea of the size. i put them tog in 9 patch and have 5 rows of 7 for a total of 35 9 patch blocks. i'm sooo ready to get it finished. never again - don't like sewing all the blocks tog. most of my quilts are either embroidered or strip/crazy quilted or appliqued.

Blog Entries
    3 pounds of fiberfill is A LOT!!! it will fill your biscuits, and a stuffed animal or two, and a pillow, and a pin cushion...it goes a long way no matter how full you stuff.

Banned
    thanks for all the help I will order 1 bag, I have enough of crap around here without having extra fiberfill.

Blog Entries
    after i got home and checked my bag of fiber fill that i bought at walmart - it was a 1# bag - so, i've used approx. one and 1/3 bags. the biscuits i have now just cover the top of my standard size bed. i'm going to make flaps (for want of a better word) like approx 8" border all around and call it quits. i'm going to use hi-loft batting and maybe do some fmq on it b/4 i attach it.

I made 8 or 9 Queen size biscuit quilts several years ago and 3 baby crib size. Base was 4" top 3" and I used several bags of polyester fibberfil per each one of the largest ones, probably 1# bags. I did stuff too many too full and they are extremely hard to sew the rows together. For this size of biscuit use about the size of a golf ball or ping pong ball, yours are larger and you would need to use more, not sure, maybe a tennis ball size amount. Sewing together into rows isn't that hard, when you sew 2 or more rows together is when you know if you stuffed them too much. I love the biscuit quilts, they are gorgeous when done. Good luck.
    P.S. Keep the ball size loose. I would not use anything but polyester, these are heavy and even heavier when being washed, not easy to wash unless you have a very large washer.

Blog Entries
    yep, it's real easy to stuff biscuits too full. i used an adjustable zipper foot to sew my blocks tog b/4 filling - set needle on right, then when i started sewing my blocks tog after they were stuffed i set my needle to the left and it stitched just right. the narrow zipper foot is easier to sew with than a regular foot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva
    yep, it's real easy to stuff biscuits too full. i used an adjustable zipper foot to sew my blocks tog b/4 filling - set needle on right, then when i started sewing my blocks tog after they were stuffed i set my needle to the left and it stitched just right. the narrow zipper foot is easier to sew with than a regular foot.
    thanks for the tip

Blog Entries
    Have you started the puff quilt yet ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Have you started the puff quilt yet ?
    Not yet, since I can't drive I had to order the polifil and it hasn't arrived yet. Also Gwyn was suppose to send me a pattern and she hasn't. I guess I will google it. I wanted to have everything in the house for when I start it. I just finished a memory pillow and wedding garter for by BFF DD and cut the rest of the clothing for BBF memory quilt. I hand sew everything, and I am in the middle of a baby quilt. I have 46 days until baby. I have to finish DS's Saint Francis quilt, he attends Franciscan University. That one I am only tying. Then I will start on the puff. I might cut the sq when I get tired of sewing. I thought it would be a good fall project. It will be for my DD using flannel. I think a puff quilt calls for flannel, it is like a big marshmellow.

Blog Entries
    i used cotton fabrics in mine. just decide how big you want your blocks to be - for instance i cut 4" blocks for the bottom and 5" blocks for the top/puff. i think the ratio is the bottom square should be 1" smaller than the top. i didn't have a pattern. i have a book that has a pattern in it but didn't use it.