Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Purchasing Jelly Rolls

Purchasing Jelly Rolls

I am fairly new to quilting and most of my quilts are no larger than baby size as I use my domestic machine to quilt them. I am looking for a good place/site to purchase jelly rolls for a very good price. I like bright colors and child prints. Funds are tight as they are for so many right now so I am looking for the best source that I can find. Thank you for the help.

Mindy

Blog Entries
    Note that a jelly roll means a bunch of 2.5" strips. It can be anywhere from 12 to 40+ strips so you really have to read the fine print to see how many strips are included & do the math to see where the best price per strip is. One place that has nice fabrics is Jelly Roll Fabric:
    http://www.jellyrollfabric.net/?gcli...FcGPMgodbi4Aaw
    Note that their jelly rolls are about 20 strips.
    Missouri Star Quilt Company has many of the 'name brand' jelly rolls, usually in the 40+ range:
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse/13
    And Connecting threads doesn't charge extra for their pre cuts. They figure out the exact yardage and that's what you pay:
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Sam...__L602204.html

I've ordered from all 3 places and had good results.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I don't buy pre cuts like jelly rolls so can't be much help. I don't know of any one place that has the lowest prices consistently. I find that I do a lot of online shopping and price comparisons, and that includes eBay and Etsy. You might consider buying yardage and cutting your own strips as I think it is cheaper, but harder to get a large variety of fabrics if that is your goal.

I second the suggestion above re: Connecting Threads. Since they don't charge extra for pre-cutting your fabric, it can be a good value. They are currently running a sale on all fabric...20% - 60% off, including Free Spirit and Riley Blake, etc. Some are only $2.96/yard.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/cff...=1--FabricSale

Blog Entries
    I have bought many jelly rolls. It is nice to get more prints in a collection than you can purchase one the bolt. Then again, I cut my own 2 1/2" strips for many quilts. It just depends on what I am making. I sign up for online fabric stores and watch for sales when I'm looking for jelly rolls.

Blog Entries
    If you have Tuesday Morning and Big Lots they sometimes have jelly rolls but it is much less expensive to cut 42 2 1/2 inch strips and make your own, you need fewer for a baby quilt
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    If funds are tight, I would go for yardage or even fat quarters instead of jelly rolls. The last jelly roll I opened was cut badly (it was Moda) and had a big crooked area at the fold of almost every strip.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Gale you can pay and get badly cut stripes. From the outside of the roll you can't tell. If you are thinking they are cheaper think again I find some stripes I just can't use because I don't like the colour or pattern.

For a newbie cutting your own could be expensive as you have limited stash so I would suggest you keep buying for one pattern at a time but buy an extra half or yard of the fabric to build a stash.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Jelly rolls are always discounted at Green Fairy Quilts. They usually have very good prices.

I usually end up cutting my Jelly rolls but then I have been quilting for over 25 years so I have a large enough of a stash. I enjoy shopping at stores like JAF or Hobby Lobby that will cut 1/8 of a yard. Normally, they cut 5" so that is two jelly roll strips.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    If you have Tuesday Morning and Big Lots they sometimes have jelly rolls but it is much less expensive to cut 42 2 1/2 inch strips and make your own, you need fewer for a baby quilt
    Every jelly roll I've ever seen at Big Lots is old discontinued JoAnns stock. I learned my lesson the first and only time I bought one from JoAnns. It should have been enough strips to make two baby quilts but it was cut so badly I needed two jelly rolls to make one quilt. I know I should have just returned the first one but I really liked the colors and I didn't want to search for them in yardage.

Cari

Cari, I had a same problem when I bought from Big Lots too. The charm pack was cut off grain and varied in size. I won't be buying precuts from them again.
    jean

Blog Entries
    I have begun to cut my own with my Accuquilt Go. Best investment ever. I have tote boxes full of strips that I cut with rotary cutter and ruler before the Go, so I know the difference. I made one quilt with a jelly roll that DD bought and I would not want to repeat with strips cut wrong. I have seen some quilts done with only a few colors of strips that were great, so it would not take a great variety of fabrics.

greenfairyquilts.com has sales all the time on precuts
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I also like jellyrollfabrics.net. My strips have always been cut evenly and they have many nice packaged rolls to choose from. I think the prices are good and sales and added freebies are nice. They also have free patterns for jelly rolls

If funds are tight then jelly rolls are generally not a good buy. Multiply the number of strips by 2.5 then divide by 36. This will give you the number of yards you are getting and you can figure out if you are getting a good deal. Generally the answer is no. The advantage to buying yardage is that you will have material left over for another project.

I love this shop for jellies; its all they sell and have very reasonable prices.

http://www.jellyrollfabric.net

jellyroll fabric is having a buy one get one free today.

I've bought from jellyrollfabric.net and have always been happy with their products. Looked at greenfairyquilts and may give them a try.

Blog Entries
    I get mine from Missouri Star when they are the Daily Deal.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Mindy, because you like bright colors and kids prints for baby quilts. You might find that cutting your own jelly rolls would be the best way to go. If you use get a 1/4 to 1/2 yard of a couple of different prints, then you can use blender colors to fill in. This is a good way to use the remnant bin at at your local store, I love looking through the remnant bin to find all the fun things, then with my discount coupons I can buy off the bolt (my solid blender colors). That way I can get as many different bright colors as I have coupons and money for. I will also cut out all my own strips (some times you end up with a few wider strips, and that's ok), I will move my strips around and some of my quilts will have a couple of different sized strips in them (it always helps keep your eye moving around the quilt). I hope my tricks help you. Good luck