Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Purchasing a small long arm

Purchasing a small long arm

I want to purchase a small long arm, and I am seriously looking at purchasing a Babylock Coronet. Does anyone have/use one? What are the pros and cons? Also, if you could purchase something different, what would it be? I don't have space for a larger long arm so I was looking at this. I only quilt for family and friends (not commercial), and I have only quilted on my domestic sewing machine. Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-18-2018 at 04:32 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Since you have quilted on your domestic have you considered one of the sit down machines like the Babylock Tiara, Handiquilter Sweet16, etc. they don’t take up as much space as the frame systems? If you can FMQ on your domestic and are just looking for more room, these might be a good option for you to try out.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I recently "graduated" from a HandiQuilter Sweet 16 (sit-down model where you move the fabric), to a Baby Lock Coronet (machine moves, fully regulated, etc. - just like a long arm, except only about 7' long instead of a monstrous full-size long arm.

When I'm working on an intricate pattern and need to sit down, I have a padded bar stool that puts me at just the right height. If I have a quick-traveling pattern (overall, meander, etc.), then I stand up.

I cannot say enough good stuff about the Baby Lock Coronet. Just make sure to keep the bobbin track cleaned and oiled and once you get your tension set for the thread you're using, it is a very, very dependable and consistent machine. All kinds of options to choose as well as an array of typically-expensive (any brand) attachments. I love the ruler base that attaches as wanted, though it will cut down the quilt area (length) about the width of the base.

I'd urge you to go for it. You should be very happy with the BL Coronet.

mkc
    Take a look (do a search) on the Coronet, the HQ equivalent "Simply 16", the Littlefoot frame, and Brother's Dream Quilter and Dream frame. They are all the same concept - a smaller frame for a small longarm.

You will also want to find a dealer where you can try one, and ESPECIALLY understand what's involved in unmounting and remounting the quilt when needed, and that you will still have to baste the quilt layers before mounting on the frame.

They don't take up as much space as a traditional long arm where you don't need to baste the layers first, but a good sit down mid-arm with plenty of table space might be worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Since you have quilted on your domestic have you considered one of the sit down machines like the Babylock Tiara, Handiquilter Sweet16, etc. they donít take up as much space as the frame systems? If you can FMQ on your domestic and are just looking for more room, these might be a good option for you to try out.

Rob
    Thank you, Rob. I have just quilted using straight lines; however, thanks for the information about Handiquilter and Sweet 16.

I did not know that HandiQuilter makes Babylock's. I will take a look. THANKS.

Thank you for your help. This is great information that I need to help make my decision.

I ordered a 20" sit down Bailey earlier this year, under $3000, love it.

If you have room for a bigger frame then I would do that. I have a 10 ft frame and glad I did. I can do a quilt put to 94” wide which is a good queen size if you like it hanging over the sides of the bed which I do.

I also have a 10 ft long arm, and find it easier on the arms, otherwise my arms bother me using a sit down machine.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I've had a Coronet for about a year, but really only recently had the time to start using it. I am enjoying it a lot! I now know I want to get a couple of extra clamps for mounting, especially when the quilt is close to or larger than the width doable on the frame. I'd also heard that HQ makes the BL machine, but I got a better deal from the BL dealer, plus the closest HQ dealer didn't seem quite as interested in talking about service, etc. PM me if you have any further questions!