Purl

Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SilverThreads
There is a wonderful quilt shop in the Chelsea area - City Quilter on West 25th Street,between 6th and 7th Avenues. They have a great selection of fabrics and the staff are as helpful as you want them to be - help if you want it but they leave you alone if you want to browse and take your time. I used to be able to walk there during lunch, but my company moved last year. I still manage to hop a subway once or twice a month for a quick shopping trip.
Good luck with your job search.
I was at The City Quilter before going to Purl. I was interviewing on W 24th st. They were not opened yet but I saw a great hand died fabric on the window. By the time I came out my daughter was waiting for me downtown and I didn't want to make her wait any longer. She wanted to go to Purl because they also have a yarn shop and she knits. She "discovered" the store and wanted to take me there for my birthday a two weeks ago. We didn't get anything, but I now know where not to shop when I go back to NYC.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:31 PM

penny- you will not be taken advantage of because you will go through this site and become thoroughly educated before you shop. hint, hint.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
penny- you will not be taken advantage of because you will go through this site and become thoroughly educated before you shop. hint, hint.
That's right. Don't ever let someone talk you into something more expensive. Paying more does not always mean better quality especially when it comes to the tools that we need. I was in a Joanns before Christmas. A woman came in that wanted to quilt. She had never sewed a stitch in her life and didn't have a clue as to what she needed. The clerk that was waiting on her sold her every thing under the sun, including a very expensive and complicated machine. The woman literally spent thousands of dollars. It made me just sick to watch. She asked me first what she would need to get started and I told her the basics. I also recomended a machine that was really easy to use and cost a lot less than the one that she ended up with. I think the clerk sold her every ruller, cutter, blades, matts, books, at least 30 spools of thread, a couple of lamps, and a stack of fabric that make any of us green. She also sold her several different feet for her new machine.She had 2 heaping carts full when she checked out. And this poor woman didn't even know how to measure a yard of fabric or thread a needle (oh, yes, she sold her a needle threader, too). I was behind her at the checkout and she spent well over $5000!!! When I walked out to my car she was loading hers. She turned and asked me what to do with all her stuff and did I live close enough to teach her how to sew. I told her that I didn't, but that the first thing she needed to do was to sign up for a beginner quilting class and look for a quilting group that might be willing to help her. The whole thing left a decidedly nasty taste in my mouth. I haven't been back since.