Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purpose for Making a Particular Quilt - >

Purpose for Making a Particular Quilt -

Purpose for Making a Particular Quilt -

Old 08-04-2020, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Default Purpose for Making a Particular Quilt -

From reading various posts - it seems that the "purpose/reason" for making a quilt (or anything, for that matter) seems to fall into various categories -

1) Just for something to do - trying out a new technique, a new pattern, just because --

2) For a specific person/occasion - usually a gift

3) For donations -

4) Commissioned -

5) Finishing something that someone else started -

6) For competition -

7) Guilt because of the amount of fabric on hand?

Probably more reasons - please add them -

Anyway -

Are the "standards of construction" the same for all categories? Consistent seam width, good quality materials, etc.?

Old 08-04-2020, 05:38 AM

I guess I'm number one -- I just like to piece! I like to spend a bit of time each day sewing. Sometimes I'm working on skills, sometimes I'm just "moving fabric". I mentioned in another thread that I seem to be pretty happy making a completed start to finish top a month in a month -- but I lack the ability to quilt them down. In terms of people I know, family members etc. "quilt worthy" is maybe only 2-4 per year so that leaves a lot of projects without homes. There are already a lot of quilts out there after 40 years of making them...

My workmanship is always roughly the same, the complexity of the top may make a difference. I made the Bonnie Hunter Frolic Mystery last year, and even though I had a family member in mind, his situation has changed. Right now the top is in the "unclaimed" category, that is, it may well end up as a donation.

I did another "practice" piece last year, a baby quilt using Easter Fabrics that I would like to go to my grandchild, but as his parents don't celebrate that holiday it probably will be donation. I made it the same, either way.

All my fabric I consider suitable for me and/or the person I most love in the world, or it doesn't go in the stash. Some, yes, are harder to use/appreciate than others. I have a fairly wide standard of what is acceptable fabric, and some aren't.

Even for donation, I'm usually making twins/queens. I do some lap/crib quilts but I prefer to work in larger tops most of the time. I've made more smaller quilts in the last couple of years because of the issues of getting them quilted, and I am willing to do up to a twin on my home system (now that it's back out of the shop), but I just don't want to wrestle with queen tops at a sit down domestic machine and I lack the space/budget for a long arm.

That I've decided I needed to concentrate on using up my fabric isn't so much guilt as it is an acknowledgement that, no, I will never use it all. I've given away a lot... a real lot... I still have a lot left but nothing compared to what I had 10 years ago. I'm figuring I have another good 5 years of relatively normal vision and being able to do the things I want to do, and I want to play with fabric.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-04-2020 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:43 AM

Right now I am participating in an Online Quilting Challenge. It is giving me a chance to try something new and share the results of my new found efforts.
I think you hit the list of every category there is. Most of my quilting is for the fun of it or for gift making.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:48 AM

I am #1 and #2. I like a challenge in a quilt with new techniques and that is a very interesting pattern. I also love to make seasonal quilts that I can display thru out the year.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:55 AM

I agree with Jordan. Currently doing a quilt for my grandson and starting a mystery quilt a long from LQS (5th since lockdown) and working on a Krista Moser quilt.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:48 AM

I'm definitely mostly in Category 1, though a number of those turn into competition quilts. And some are gifted or sold. Quilt making is my creative play, so I really don't need an excuse to pull out the fabric . My favorite part is doing the actual quilting, so sometimes I just pull out scraps of fabric and batting and doodle quilt if I'm wanting something to do LOL!

Rob
Old 08-04-2020, 09:26 AM

Definitely #1 for me too. I just enjoy piecing. Sometimes people ask 'how long did that take' and I can't answer because it doesn't matter to me if it took a week or a year. Quality is consistent regardless of use. The actual quilting is my least favorite part because I am not great at it, but usually it is good enough to not be embarrassing LOL.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:39 AM

I quilt because I get an idea in my head and I just have to do it. No matter what I'm working on, I learn something new or get better at something I need to get better at. I'm driven. The best part is the idea, getting together everything I need (and I'm so glad I have a good stash!) and sometimes the quest for the very best last thing. By the time I finish (which can take months), I don't like the quilt, think the idea was stupid and wonder why I ever tried it. After a few months, I can appreciate what I've done and realize the imperfections are minor and not noticeable, but it always gives me something else to strive for.

Especially in light of Covid, spending time with ideas, fabric and my sewing machine make my day better.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I quilt mainly for my own pleasure. I like all parts of quilting even though I am better at some than others. I have made a few for other people on request. I keep most of what I make. At some point they will all be donated. They are all pretty nice. I don’t have a stash and finish everything I start. My quilty friends tease me all the time.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:23 AM

I've been making quilts for everybody else over the years and now, I'm perfectly happy to just make quilts for our home. We've built our own house. It took us quite a few years and it's still not completely done. It's nice to be able to contribute my own skills to making the final touches on our home. Finally, I get to decorate!

I also like to try to make more challenging quilts each time, so that I can improve my skills. I would love to have a "Wow!" quilt that I've made on my own bed someday. I guess that's the egotist in me.

To be honest, I don't make many donation quilts, unless they are for someone that I know personally and is in need. There are quilt guilds that do nothing but charity quilts, so they can have that job.

As I've mentioned before, I might be interested in competing someday at our local fair. I dunno though...those quilters are really, really good. I'm not sure if I could ever get up to their level. I might enjoy the challenge though.

~ C