Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: purse made with metal ruler

i have made a couple of purses with the metal ruler, wondering if any one else has and if so have you had problems with the piece splitting in the middle after using for a while. one side is starting to rip in half and a sharp edge is in the middle.

I just made several of the little size. I think longer pieces might be a problem with breaking. I wrapped the metal tape in duct tape, only used the tape way at the end of the measure,where it did not get used as much. I did not cut the tape as long as the pattern stated.
    I left 3/8" to 1/2" on each end of the casing. did you use interfacing on the casing ? PM is you have any other questions.
    I love making & giving these little purses ! smitty

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty
    I just made several of the little size. I think longer pieces might be a problem with breaking. I wrapped the metal tape in duct tape, only used the tape way at the end of the measure,where it did not get used as much. I did not cut the tape as long as the pattern stated.
    I left 3/8" to 1/2" on each end of the casing. did you use interfacing on the casing ? PM is you have any other questions.
    I love making & giving these little purses ! smitty
    Ihave made dozens and dozens now and no trouble at all with them and have used some of them a lot yet no problem

have you made the larger sizes ?

Dkm
    I have made several of the small ones and use electrical tape on the ends with interfacing on the fold over.
    A friend said on larger items use two cuts of the ruler and tape together.

I have covered the whole ruler, eventhough it only says to cover the ends. This may help.

Blog Entries
    I used the thick Stanley brand ruler. This ruler is curved and the edges do not touch the fabric. At the ends I used tin snips to round off smooth. No cuts or tears at all.

what is this purse? Sounds interesting.

I've made several of the small ones. I round the ends and tape. I've made a large one but didn't use the tape in it as I didn't think it would work as well. I just used a small section of velcro as a fastener in the middle.

Blog Entries
    Use the metal pull out rulers instead of a zipper in a purse or bag (in a casing) and the opening will snap shut. The heavy metal ruler works so much better then the thin one. Buy a pair of tin snips (looks like scissors) while you are in the hardware store. One big 25' ruler will make a lot of bags! Use two separate pieces one per side.

Dkm
    They are called Snap Bags

Is there a pattern for them?

Do you remeber where you got the pattern? I have been trying to find one. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skylady0213
    Do you remeber where you got the pattern? I have been trying to find one. Thanks
    try this:
    http://tatteredgarden.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html