Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
putting on a binding..... >

putting on a binding.....

putting on a binding.....

Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM

I saw a tute somewhere where you sewed the sides of the binding first including sewing it to the back, then add the top and bottom. You finished off the top and bottom as if you were finishing off the waistband of a skirt enclosing the side binding edges. It was very easy. I'll see if I can find the tute or link for it.

Last edited by virtualbernie; 04-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 AM

You can do it, but it's actually harder than just going around the corners. If you have a lot of problems going around the corners, either go to a quilter's day at your LQS and get personalized instruction OR look online for binding videos to improve your technique. I get it. I am learning to apply both sides of the binding by machine because I can't do it by hand very well anymore. It doesn't just take practice, it takes having someone show you HOW to do it right.

As mentioned, practice on potholders.

Honestly though, nobody, and I mean nobody, that I have given quilts to have ever noticed how screwy my corner bindings are. It's just me.

Also, no matter what I or anybody else says, unless you are trying to enter the quilt into a show, do what YOU like and can do well.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 04-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I love every aspect of quilting EXCEPT binding so I feel for you. I usually send my quilts out to be bound by a gal who machine sews them on (cheaper) and I give them away so no one cares that they aren't hand sewn. I know how to bind a quilt, I've done it many times, but I just dread doing it. I don't like having to cut a bunch of 2 1/2" pieces and then sewing them together and ironing them in half and then sewing them to the quilt and then turning them over and sewing them to the other side. I have a bunch of quilts unbound waiting for me to do something with them. I was thinking I would actually try doing them myself, but really I know I won't. So, I need to send them out. It cost me about $35 each quilt (which is a lot of money) but at least they get done. And that includes the gal cutting the pieces and sewing them together, the whole process.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM

I do straight sided binding when I have a piece that I intend to hang. This kind of of binding allows the quilt to hang straighter. The other important tip is that when doing SS binding, use a single thickness strip - not double folded. There is a great book I have used for years - Happy Endings. If you can find it, it is invaluable.