Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting LED lights into a quilted wall hanging >

Putting LED lights into a quilted wall hanging

Putting LED lights into a quilted wall hanging

Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Donna in Bellevue View Post
There are tiny LED light strings that run on a battery pack. The ones I've seen are held in place on the back with on O-ring. I followed the link on the page you showed and eventually got to a site that had them for sale. I don't know now where that was but it was pretty easy to find. Good luck.
Donna in Bellevue
Donna, thank you ... I'm not sure the site where I found these is the same one you found but I do remember seeing them before I started this project and then deciding I should just pick something up at a craft store. Now that I'm looking at them a little more carefully I think these might be better ... based on some of the patterns on the site it looks like you just poke them down/up into the fabric and you don't have to cut any holes are make spaces in the seams. I'm not completely sure but I ordered some because if they work like I think they might it will save me a whole lot of trouble.

Love the idea of hiding the wires on the back with another tree, I think I will do that too.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and I will be sure to post pictures.

Becki
Old 10-18-2014, 09:44 AM
BAG

I had a 4th of July wall hanging 2'x3' with led lights to go behind it. What I did....
-Ironed fusible batting to front panel.
-quilt top as desired (just panel top and fusible batting)
-Figured out where "pocket" for light control would go and where to place lights on panel and "marked the spot."
-numbered the marked spots in the order the lights would be placed so I didn't have to figure out that again.
-set lights aside and using the "eyelet" stitch on sewing machine sewed an eyelet where each light would go and poked a starter hole inside each eyelet.
-make small pocket on backside of front panel for "controller". Don't make flat. Make bowed so when controller is inserted front will still lie flat
-make the back like a "pillow back" with two panels overlapping about 4-6"
-make your hanging sleeve
-right side of panel Front face up, then place hangin sleeve, then then right side of "back two panels" face down.
-stitch around all four sides and turn inside out, iron.
-insert led light string into eyelet holes and controller into pocket.
Done!