Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
putting photo onto fabric >

putting photo onto fabric

putting photo onto fabric

Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Red face putting photo onto fabric

Hi,
I want to put a few photos in the quilt I am making for my daughter-in-law. I know the photo has to be transferred to the fabric I will be using but I don't know how to do this. All of you are so knowledgeable I know you'll be ale to help me.
Thank you,
Cookie5
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 AM

You go to your local fabric store and purchase the special fabric pieces that are backed with paper. they have them at JoAnns. They are made by Tailor. Each package I purchased contained three sheets of cream colored cotton fabric. You then use them in a copier to transfer the pictures on to them in color or black and white which ever you prefer. You then peel the paper off of the back and sew the fabric containing the picture into your quilt. They are 81/2 by 11 inches so they will run through even a home copier with ease. Several years ago a made wall hangings for each of my brothers for Christmas after both of our parents were gone. I used the special paperbacked fabric to make copies of all of our wedding pictures. I hope they appreciated them. I made myself one also.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM

You can also order from Spoonflower. They do a good job.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 PM

I bought a roll of the photo print fabric from Overstock.com. I cut the fabric (it is stiff off the roll) and just ran it through my home printer..worked great. The instructions said to let dry an hour (I let it sit overnight) then place it flat in a pan of water for 20 minutes. Some of the printer dye bled off but not much. Then lay flat to dry. The photo fabric was very smooth but fairly thin so I first sewed it on some solid white Moda before piecing it into my project. It has held up well.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Fabri...intable+fabric

Check the link above (amazon). I have used them on two quilts I have made...one for my husband and one for my daughter. They work really well. The directions are really simple too.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 PM

I made a photo quilt for my DD when she graduated from High School. I used each picture from each grade. Cute!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

i got my printer fabric at walmart.

one important point is to carefully follow the directions on the various packages
Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 AM

I have used Printed Treasures several times and it has worked very well. You can purchase it at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or your LQS. Would be cheaper at Joann's or Hobby Lobby if you have a coupon to use. You get about 5 sheets of the fabric to print your pics on.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by fairydawn View Post
I have used Printed Treasures several times and it has worked very well. You can purchase it at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or your LQS. Would be cheaper at Joann's or Hobby Lobby if you have a coupon to use. You get about 5 sheets of the fabric to print your pics on.
I've tried a few different photo fabric/papers. I like Printed Treasures the best.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:08 AM

I'm pretty sure you need an inkjet printer, not laser