Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting it Together >

Putting it Together

Putting it Together

Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 AM

The quilt top is finished. Now it's on to putting it all together. It seems that the in thing is to bind. Which I know nothing about. I was planning on just sewing it inside out and then pulling it through and finishing with a blind stitch.

Can someone tell me the pro's and con's. Is there a reason not to do that? I know so little about quilting I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 AM

If you're talking about doing the quilt envelope style, that works just fine. I would suggest after you turn it right-side out, you press the edge (stay close to the edge) and then top-stitch around the edge, maybe a quarter inch in. You could also do a meandering stitch throughout the quilt. When I make quillows I just divide in thirds across, mark and stitch. Then I divided the length in fourths and do the same. They wear great through lots of washings.

Hope this helps. It's your quilt to put together the way you want. This is easy and you'll be ready to go on to your next project.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Tk, you helped all of us set up quilt mommie adoptions. Did you get your own Quilt Mommie. :roll: :lol:

I have never done the envelope, but I know many on the board have and sounds like you are getting some good advice from stichinluvr
Originally Posted by tkhooper
The quilt top is finished. Now it's on to putting it all together. It seems that the in thing is to bind. Which I know nothing about. I was planning on just sewing it inside out and then pulling it through and finishing with a blind stitch.

Can someone tell me the pro's and con's. Is there a reason not to do that? I know so little about quilting I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM

I did get two quilt mommies. I just thought I would get an overall census on the pro's and con's of these two different types of techniques.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 AM

No, I agree. I was just hoping you got a mommie too, you are just doing so much work.

I think it is important even with mommies we still use the board for our questions. Even with mommies you need to find the best options for you. Some techniques that work for one may not be the best way for someone else.

Even after quilting for 27 years I cannot tell you how much I learn from this board. I am teaching many of the new techniques to my friends that aren't on the board. They just won't join. I send them the link when I find something that I know will be of interest to them. They read it, love it and then still don't join.:lol:

I did get two quilt mommies. I just thought I would get an overall census on the pro's and con's of these two different types of techniques.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 AM

It took me a year to join a friends website. Now I go there everyday. So don't give up on your friends yet. They may just be slow like me.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Oh, I won't. They are just missing so much by not being on here.
It took me a year to join a friends website. Now I go there everyday. So don't give up on your friends yet. They may just be slow like me.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 AM

When I want to see what's done or get ideas I go to the library, drag a chair from an empty table or desk and sit down in the place where the quilt books are located. I drag out 4-5 books, keep them in order, check what's in there for photos, put them back in order and start over. I've found a couple of wonderful books and bought them used on the internet, I've copied patterns onto graph paper, and gotten lots of other ideas.

I can't see anything wrong with using the envelope type finish on quilts but I like everything about making my own binding and attaching it by hand. It seems relaxing to me. I used to attach straight cut binding but like bias binding better now.

Someone must have told me that using a binding would make a quilt last longer because when or if the edges frayed you could snip the binding off and replace it. I've seldom had to do that and when I have had to replace a binding I've found other parts of the quilt had some use damage as well.

Finally you don't have to make a whole quilt to see if you like the results of a different proceedure. Test it out on two fat quarters and left over batting. Wash it with your regular wash a few times and see how it looks. I save these mini-quilts for changing pads for the baby or crate pads for the dogs.

Jois
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM

I made all my quilts envelope style the first two years I quilted. I could not get the binding thing right and after I put in so much work I did not want to ruin my quilt. But I finally saw the binding done in a video that really clicked in my head and I was able to do it on the first try.

But I still envelope baby quilts. I think it makes them more durable and longer lasting.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

The only problem with the envelope style is if you are using a high loft poly batting. You will need to quilt way more heavily... and be careful handling the quilt until you get it pinned heavily, especially when you are turning it right side out. High loft poly batting tends to stretch more than a 100% cotton batting, and you could end up with thin spots if you aren't very careful. I would leave a larger opening for turning, if using the high loft too. You also wouldn't want to press the sides with an iron, as it will flatten the batting. :D:D:D