Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Puzzle Me This....

  1. #1
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,935

    Puzzle Me This....

    I have several unfinished quilts that I would like to complete...but I don't have any instructions...

    I am hoping if I show you pictures of what I have someone will know the pattern and give some direction.

    This one has a few complete blocks as shown. One long strip as shown 3.5" wide x 44" long. I have more fabric to finish this...but what is it and how do I do it? I know how to make the block...what is the long strip going to be? Small corner blocks maybe?

    Any help appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Cyn
    Cyn is offline
    Super Member Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Posts
    6,761
    Blog Entries
    17
    Wow! I feel ya'. I received my mil's stash and ufo's at her passing. I have 5-6 of them I have been looking at off and on for 5 years trying to figure out what she meant for them to be. I actually just got one top done for a large king size bed. I just finally came up with my own plan that used all the pieces (almost) that she had.
    now to figure out how to sandwich and quilt the bugger

  3. #3
    Senior Member JanieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    673
    See if this tutorial will help you . You need to cut the long strips up into smaller units and then rearrange them and sew them back together.

    http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...quilt__D3.html

  4. #4
    Super Member valleyquiltermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    MO.
    Posts
    2,683
    JanieW has it ;-)
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

  5. #5
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    It looks like it might be the pieced block for a double Irish Chain. The other block would be that floral with the light tiny floral appliqued to the corners.

  6. #6
    Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    It looks like it might be the pieced block for a double Irish Chain. The other block would be that floral with the light tiny floral appliqued to the corners.
    That is what I think also a Double Irish Chain. I went and got my Quilt in a Day Irish Chain book and it looks exactly like what is called Block A, Block B would have the floral as the middle sections and your white with print would be the corner stone blocks on that.
    ​Christine

  7. #7
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,935
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 View Post
    That is what I think also a Double Irish Chain. I went and got my Quilt in a Day Irish Chain book and it looks exactly like what is called Block A, Block B would have the floral as the middle sections and your white with print would be the corner stone blocks on that.
    I must not be seeing this...I kinda get how the long strip can turn into an irish chain, but how does the block fit? I will look at some of my books and see if I have any directions.

    I appreciate the insight...I would not have ever thought of this.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    metro Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,278
    Just keep up the good work. Trying to figure someone else's ideas is a real challenge. Too bad we can't just climb inside the person's brain and find the right file folder in the brain containing the information.....................kidding, of course
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

  9. #9
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,508
    Will this help?

    Jan in VA

    Line between the blue squares at the very bottom of the graphic was cut off in the (file...sorry.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

  10. #10
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,935
    Jan you always have such great diagrams to explain things! Thanks...but...what am I to do with that long strip in your plan?

  11. #11
    Super Member Girlfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    1,176
    Jan, I love your computer skills. Where on earth did you learn how to do that? Love it!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mountain View, Oklahoma
    Posts
    560
    Blog Entries
    3
    Jan, I may be going to have some free time, having a health problem. I may get a chance to sit and learn the type of things that you do. My, you are sharp!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sebastopol, California
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    I have several unfinished quilts that I would like to complete...but I don't have any instructions...

    I am hoping if I show you pictures of what I have someone will know the pattern and give some direction.

    This one has a few complete blocks as shown. One long strip as shown 3.5" wide x 44" long. I have more fabric to finish this...but what is it and how do I do it? I know how to make the block...what is the long strip going to be? Small corner blocks maybe?

    Any help appreciated
    I think your long strips are for making the bigger block. you cut the strips in to 3.5 square sew them together and make the bigger block it looks to me like the person rotated how the sewed them together. I do not know the name of the block however. Happy sewing yippie

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    125
    Go to http://www.quilterscache.com/D/Doubl...hainBlock.html
    I think your strip may be incomplete or something. If you have enough fabric, just follow her directions to finish the quilt. Her values are placed differently so you will have to use your existing block as a guide for making the strips.

  15. #15
    Super Member JENNR8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,457
    Couldn't you just make more of the blocks and use the strips as borders?

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
    Go to http://www.quilterscache.com/D/Doubl...hainBlock.html
    I think your strip may be incomplete or something. If you have enough fabric, just follow her directions to finish the quilt. Her values are placed differently so you will have to use your existing block as a guide for making the strips.
    Oops! The link takes you to pagex3 of thexinstructions. Go to the bottom of the page and there is a link to page 2. You can back up to page one

  17. #17
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,935
    THank you Auntlucy....this make a lot more sense to me! I couldn't understand this part...Now I wonder if there is enough material to make a decent size quilt. I will look.

    Quote Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
    Go to http://www.quilterscache.com/D/Doubl...hainBlock.html
    I think your strip may be incomplete or something. If you have enough fabric, just follow her directions to finish the quilt. Her values are placed differently so you will have to use your existing block as a guide for making the strips.

  18. #18
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    6,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    THank you Auntlucy....this make a lot more sense to me! I couldn't understand this part...Now I wonder if there is enough material to make a decent size quilt. I will look.
    If you don't have enough for a "decent size quilt" you could always make one the size you can, then enlarge it with borders of your choosing till you are happy with it's size. I've been watching a group that starts with a center square and then sends it around to each other and they each add a border and have been amazed at the wonderful results.
    Adding borders can be an amazing and artistic way to enlarge a quilt, whether starting with a block or one that is just a bit too small.
    Linda Wedge White

    I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

  19. #19
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,227
    Your strip set is for a second strip set with the colors opposite then cut to make a 9 patch.
    For your block you just need a 2 color strip set.
    That's what I see but I could be wrong.

  20. #20
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,508
    "Long strip in my plan"??? Not sure I understand what you mean. I'm assuming you mean the white strips - those between the darker blue squares on each side of the center square of BLOCK B. Those white strips are to be cut the same width as the blue strips that make up BLOCK A. Then they can be trimmed to fit each side of the center in BLOCK B. You will add a white strip to opposite sides of BLOCK B, then add a darker blue small square to the ends of 2 of those white strips that you will sew to the top and bottom side of each BLOCK B.

    Does that help?

    Jan in VA
    (Thanks all for your comments on my graphics; I do them ALL in the PAINT program that is included with Windows on my laptop. Here at home, I'll be teaching a class in using Paint in a few weeks.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    Jan you always have such great diagrams to explain things! Thanks...but...what am I to do with that long strip in your plan?
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    1,660
    Ditto! froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
    See if this tutorial will help you . You need to cut the long strips up into smaller units and then rearrange them and sew them back together.

    http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...quilt__D3.html

  22. #22
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Will this help?

    Jan in VA

    Line between the blue squares at the very bottom of the graphic was cut off in the (file...sorry.)
    It would show the block a little better if the colors on block B were reversed. Block B is always the same fabric as the center square on each side of block A.

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Joplin, Missouri
    Posts
    1,060
    Blog Entries
    1
    Jan.. I'm glad to see you are back at the computer... how is that shoulder... good to see you able to reply!!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...AC3300A534.png Life is good when you're busy with babies.

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    1,361
    The strips are your small squares in the block, you just measure and cut across the strip.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    624

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.