Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Puzzled about scissors...

I wonder if you put them between layers of fabric when sorting? I use all kinds of different scissors so haven't notice your problem.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I use mostly Ginghers...I particularly like the 5" knife blade ones...but I have at least one of all of them. I also have a pair or two of the Kai brand, don't care for them....something about the heft doesn't agree with my hands. My favorite pair for embroidery is an old hospital pair which was used in the surgery of a now-defunct clinic. They seem to stay sharper than the rest of my herd...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I, too, lost my favorite Gingher scissors. I bought a similar pair from JoAnns. I was so disappointed! Although I have oiled them several times, they are stiff and are not fun to use. Fortunately, I found my old scissors. The two pairs of scissors look almost identical; but the difference in cutting is unbelievable. I detest my new scissors! I have lots of other brands of scissors that I like. I think KAI is my favorite.

I love all of mine!! I have a small pair of Ginghers that I love!! Funny but they are made here but can't buy them here in Germany. I needed big scissors so I bought a German set Love them too. I have had luck with scissors...now if I could keep my family from touching them!!
    *Rachel*

I know what you mean. I have several pair of scissors but seem to use the same ones most of the time. I once had a pair that was perfect for snipping curves back when I made most of my and my daughters cloths. Went to use them once and my 10 year old son had used them to cut wire. The whole family made themselves scarce when I discovered that. I was furious. NO ONE was supposed to touch my sewing scissors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    They're different because they're not broke in yet. It takes a very long time to break in a new pair of scissors but there is a change from new to broke in that happens.
    I have 3 very old pair of Ginghers my Great Niece gave me a new pair Ugh so stiff so I had her cut with them for about the last yr seems to work to help break them in. She also bought a pair of Mundal not even a new quilter like them. I have 2 other pair bought in Germany in 1967 when we were stationed there I love them to. But just keep use them or if you have a Great Niece thats sews farm them out only they may not come back home.
    Old Quilters never die they just go to pieces.!!!!!!I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ......

I just bought some black handle 7" Gingher sissors and just love them...
    went to a retreat and had sissors resharpened and they came back worse than when they went sooooo I used by 50 % coupon and bought this nice pair.
    My sewing friend used them and said where did you get these and went and purchased her own. two of us cannot be wrong.
    firequilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorcmm View Post
    I think that they have changed also. I like the light and soft feel and fiskars used to be great, but now that they are made overseas they are terrible. They catch in the middle. I haven't bought ginghers because I don't like the feel of the metal. I finally found a pair at a quilt show that were only 12 dollars. The company said the catch is in the sharpening. Must be right because these are a dream. www.famorecuttlery.com. I bought the titanium dress shear and my aunt bought the pointier ones and she says she loves hers also. I was really surprised how reasonalbly priced they were.
    I am checking these out, but the correct link is: http://www.famorecutlery.com/

Edit: Oh! After looking, I discovered that the $16 scissors with the blue comfort handles are the same ones I recently bought at a quilt show. The shop said that they are the only ones that Sharon Schamber uses. Haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but I am hopeful.....
    Last edited by Prism99; 11-10-2012 at 11:07 AM.

If you can find them, try the Ginghers light weight scissore designed just for arthritic hands. They are black and made of the same material as the stealth bomber. Very sturdy. The cutting strip is the only metal on them and they are great. I have had mine for about 25 years.

I LOVE my KAi scissors! Ive tryed them all. they are the Best

I have 5 pair of Karen Kay Buckley scissors, and I prefer them to all the others I have had in the past.
    They all have serated edges and can cut to the best point ever. check them out, they don't cost an arm
    and a leg either. http://www.karenkaybuckley.com
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Blog Entries
    Your scissors are with my stork scissors that were a gift to me. Used them this past summer and now can't find them. Too cheap to replace them and want to try beforehand before buying another set.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

My newest scissors are a very new brand to me, Kai & I have to admit, I love these scissors. They are not cheap but boy do they cut & then some. I find them easy to use & NOBODY better even try to use them from something other than fabric or instant death may overcome them. LOL The ones I have, I believe are 8" shears & are they sharp. Love them, love them.
    Dance like no one is watching

Yes, Nan, I've noticed a difference in a new pair I bought that are also the 8" shears. They, too, are sticky and do not function nearly as well as mine before. Have no answers...just understanding what you feel.

I am sold on KAI scissors. I bought a set of 3 different sizes at Road To California a couple of years ago and have never been sorry. They have a serrated edge and grab the fabric on top and bottom evenly, they stay sharp and cut like a dream. If you are looking for a great pair, try them out at the next quilt show you go to or look them up on google. I also have a pair of good ghingers from my MIL who passed away and although I really like them, I still prefer the KAI.

Kai! I bought 2 pairs at the Quilting Convention last year and I am so glad I did. My old ginghers have gone by the way side....

Blog Entries
    I still have the first pair of Fiskars I purchased in the late 60's. I have never had them sharpened and they still cut as good as the first time I used them. I love those scissors and all the other Fiskars I have purchased since. I bought my first pair of Ginghers about three years ago and although I have a nice selection of Ginghers now, I still prefer that first pair of Fiskars, but my favorites are the first Soft-Grip ones they came out with, again never been sharpened and still as sharp as the day I purchased them in the early 80's.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    You are not alone!! I just bought a new pair of 8" Ginghers at Joanne's. I've had Fiskars but both pair are getting old and either won't cut from the base or won't cut all the way to the tip. So I had a coupon and purchased the new pair of Ginghers. They are very stiff and it takes a lot of pressure to cut. I think I started a thread about this about 3=4 weeks ago. I haven't oil mine yet.

Someone suggested on my thread that they like the spring loaded Ginghers but I haven't tried them.

I just purchased a pair of Mundail at Hancock's and couldn't try them out before hand. When I got home, I opened them and they are HORRIBLE!! So back they are going! UGH It is so frustrating to not be able to find a great pair of scissors.

BTW, I do have a pair of the spring loaded Fiskars which do a pretty good job and my son came over to install a shower curtain rod for me. I caught him cutting the plastic straps on the packaging with my Fiskars. I jerked them out of his hand and he kinda looked at me funny. HEHE I told him those were the only fabric scissors that cut halfway decent and he couldn't use them on the plastic!! Now I may make him bring me home a good pair from the hospital!!!!
    I certainly hope you don't mean he is going to steal scissors from the hospital to bring to you.

I was reading a post the other day about this subject. One person said that the best scissors that she had ever bought were wallpaper scissors. She said that she loved them. Next time I go to Menard's I am going to try a pair. You might want to as well.

I have a pair of ginghers, but Kai's are great. They have a website.

Blog Entries
    Mine were Weiss. My Mom got me a set when I was 13 all were 6 inch. I still use the straight bladed ones but I can no longer find some one who can sharpen the zig-zag or the scallop edge's I used these the most for making clothing. I loved them and now a days you hardly ever find zig zag and I have never seen another pair of scallops.Now my favorite ones are WALWORKS- there from Sherwin-Williams paint store for wallpaper.They have very comfortable handles and mine are at least 10 yrs old and they are as sharp as the day I bought them and there was no 'break in' period they instantly felt like a perfect fit.

I have a pair of steel Fiskars, which I really like. I bought these when I first started sewing and couldn't justify the price of a Gingher. I really like them, but then I haven't cut with a Gingher yet either. I know what you mean about the extension of your right - I have a chef's knife that's like that. I hope your scissors turn up!

Blog Entries
    I inherited my grandmas scissors when she moved to a nursing home years ago. I think they are Ginghers. They are probably 80 years old. I did have them sharpened a few times. I really like them a lot. I rarely use them any more since I rarely make clothing any more. My favorite newer pair is my cutco scissors. They are available either from a rep or online. LOve them. they come with free lifetime sharpening as do their knives.

I took a class from Karen Kay Buckley, and bought a pair of scissors that is her brand alone and they are great. The blades grip the fabric and can cut several layers at a time.

Gingher Scissors

Gingher Scissors are now owned by Fiskar. I've noticed a marked decline in quality since Fiskar's took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    So I've always had a wonderful pair of Gingher scissors (8" sewing shears, sharp point), but somehow in re-doing my cutting area I've lost 'em. Don't know how something big and shiny like a pair of scissors can go missing, but, well, they did.

And I miss them. They were like an extension of my own arm.

So I went to JoAnns and bought a new pair of what I thought would be identical scissors. And. They're not. They are subtly different, and it's disturbing. The metal blades are slightly - very slightly - thicker, and they weigh just a fraction of an ounce more and somehow the difference is very noticeable to me. Plus the action is stiff, sticky, and requires more effort to use. And yes, I did "try out" several pairs in the store, looking for the ones that are easiest to operate. I've put some sewing machine oil on the screw area, but I can't loosen the screw to make them easier to use. And the oil didn't really make any difference.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in scissors, when buying a replacement for an old favorite pair?

Or is there just a better brand than Gingher these days? What's your favorite pair, and where & when did you buy them?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast