Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pvc quilt frame

I want to thank the quilter and her husband who put up the pic of the frame and some instructions. I went to Lowe's and the worker in plumbing looked at the picture and told me exactly what I would need to make it. He even cut the pipes for me.

My husband and I put it together and it looks great, I can't wait to use it.

I love this pvc it is like tinker toys, did I just date myself??
    I also made a small hand frame with the leftovers. Wow!!!

Thanks again

Sis
    Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer
    I am interested in making one of those frames,too. Would you please tell me where to find the picture and instructions? Thanks! :wink:

Ditto,Ditti,Ditti,

If you're not up to making one, I bought one about 20 years ago from Qsnap. Web address is www.qsnap.com. It fits thru a doorway, and has a gripper cover for each side. That makes it easy to tighten. You do have to move the quilt around to get to all of it, but since I don't have room to put up a frame that's any bigger, it works for me. I've probably done 40 or 50 quilts on it (many of them baby quilts that the girls at church made and we tied together.) My husband is great at helping me set up the quilts and tighten them. Bless him! :D

I am also interested in find the photo and instructions for the PVC frame. Has anyone found it? Is it posted on this site?
    Thanks. I am ready to give my husband another project. LOL

There is another thread running here:

Quilting frames......read this one also

Hi everyone its been a while since I posted anything .Just wanted to talk about the Q Snap frame.I have one and find it just great I have done a number of Quiltson mine in all sizes .I also find it quite portable I take it to the cottage with me .I would recommend it to anyone .Wilma Osmond

Are we talking about hand quilting frames...
    or the ones (John FLynn style) to use with a sewing machine?
    Maybe we need to include this information.

In the search, there is a picture of a frame, I think it was Debbie Murray who posted it. Sorry, Debbie, if I am in error. My memory is faulty most days.

The Qsnap is for hand quilting.

This is a picture of pvc frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[b]
    My husband made me one when i first started quilting 10 years ago and it still works fine, I really like it and when you take it apart it takes up no room.

I hope you enjoy yours.
    ef

Would you be able to share information for others who would like to have one made? Perhaps a photo and maybe some measurements, etc., tht should be very helpful for our husbands.

thank you for sharing this information on the frame. Oh, did you use this with your sewing machine...or for hand quilting???

Thanks Cassie and you are right, when we put it together we decided to not glue the legs so I could take it apart and store in closet when not using it.

June, this frame is used for hand quilting.

If you take this picture to Home Depot or Lowe's plumbing department, they will tell you just what you will need to make it. Thats what I did.

It is easy to put together, just like tinker toys, remember them.

how is the piping attached to the quilt to hold in place?

Jessiesmom
    Thanks for the picture, and that little pink baby in the corner is a doll. I mean a real little doll baby. How precious.....

Don't know what is being used in the above picture, but somebody suggested spring clamps and they work just fine. You just have to take them off when not working on quilt.

Go to search and type in pipe quilt frame. There was a discussion on this before. My hubby made one for me and I just love it. You can find the picture and dimensions here at Joannes.

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=53080&PRODID=11976&source=search

Catherine:

Check your private message.

cassiemae

I to would like to know how you tighten the quilt on the frame that was made out of the PVC pipe
    My frame has four pieces that goes on the top bad ,it has grooves in it to tighten the quilt.I was just wondering what you would use for that . Wilma Osmond

I to would like to know how you tighten the quilt on the frame that was made out of the PVC pipe
    My frame has four pieces that goes on the top bar ,it has grooves in it to tighten the quilt.I was just wondering what you would use for that . Wilma Osmond

Wilma:

Check your private message.

cassiemae

For those of you still looking to make one of these frames, check out this link I read about on a longarm forum I'm in, for the Snap Clamps. They are available in different sizes so you could easily purchase 1/4" larger than your pipe size, and you have a choice on the legnth as well. They also have all kinds of elbow fittings, Y fittings, etc.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/pvc.shtml

Hope this helps. :D

You are very good at finding things in obscure places! Who would have thought to look at that sight for quilting frame material? Way to go. 8)

Thanks Cathie, but I can't take the credit for finding the site. Another lady on the longarm forum posted the link with a suggestion on using these to avoid hitting side clamps with your machine or as a method of quickly re-loading your quilt onto the frame for some touch-up quilting, etc. When she said this, I thought about this discussion here and figured it might be a good (quick, easy, & cheap) alternative to buying more pipes and cutting your own.

Besides, we're all quilters, no matter our method of choice, and we are all continually looking "outside of the box" for ways to make the process a bit easier. So, like all of you, when I come across helpful info, I want to pass it on.

(Tim would probably have tried to charge you for it... $19.95? $29.95? :lol: )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast