Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PVC Quilting Frame?

Blog Entries

PVC Quilting Frame?

Hey all,

Quick question for all of the hand quilters out there, I have the chance to buy a BRAND NEW, NEVER USED PVC Quilting frame like the one in the listing (http://www.joann.com/q-snap-floor-fr...-x39-/prd2867/) for only $45!

Is this a good frame and a good price?

Thanks!

Jamie C.

Our lives are like quilts bits and pieces, joy and sorrow,
    stitched with love.

Blog Entries
    It's a good price. The problem I had with that frame was that my back did not like me bending over it for long periods of time. Even propping up the rear legs did not help enough. It's a nice frame for those who don't have back issues.

Power Poster
    ​I have the Q- Snap floor frame and it is good for hand quilting. I paid about $50 for it about 5 years ago using a 50% coupon. You can also use it when tying a quilt.

Yep, that is a good price. They are nice frames.

That is a good price. I use mine to tie quilts. I have never hand quilted on it. I use my desk chair that moves up and down and when I get the right height, it doesn't hurt my back.

They are nice frames - BUT - I always wondered if you could just go to Home Depot or Lowes, buy the PVC pipe and couplers and make your own......

amh
    It is a good price. I purchased a home made one for about that price several years ago. I love hand quilting. I agree that it can be a little hard on your back, so finding a suitable height chair is important. I usually put the quilt on the frame and quilt around the blocks. I then take it off and use a lap hoop to finish off the blocks. It is basted well with the quilting around the blocks, so lap quilting is easy. Quilting on the pvc frame reminds me of the quilting bees of my youth.

I am transitioning to free motion machine quilting, but still love to hand quilt. It is good to know there are more of us out there.

Hope that helps.
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Blog Entries
    I still have mine. used to hand quilt and loved it. i sat in a chair!!

A friend of mine went to Home Depot and bought everything she needed and made her own. She had a photo of one and they cut the pipes just the size she wanted and it cost was so cheep she could hardly believe it. She loved it.

Blog Entries
    For the homemade ones, I have heard it is very difficult to find the sections that clamp the quilt onto the PVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    For the homemade ones, I have heard it is very difficult to find the sections that clamp the quilt onto the PVC.

That was my thought, to construct the frame would not be hard. But finding the correct sizes for the clamping might prove to be a challenge.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I have one. I love it. If you did make your own, where would you get the half that clamps on? It has rough line all along the inside, so it will stay clamped. I paid 88 dollars a long time ago.

Blog Entries
    I used one at the church to tie a quilt with two other women. I used a stool and it worked well for me. The others used chairs. If I were a tier or handquilter, I would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    That was my thought, to construct the frame would not be hard. But finding the correct sizes for the clamping might prove to be a challenge.
    My DH made one for me, and he also made the clamps by grinding down and smoothing up. It does not have a rough line along the inside, but it has never failed me. It stays clamped just fine. I also had him make it not quite so deep. I couldn't reach all the way across the "real" one. I used it for hand quilting for a long time, now mostly for tieing. My old hands don't like hand quilting much now days

Blog Entries
    Thanks for everyone's replies! I decided to go ahead and purchase the frame. My father tried to make me one of these frames a year or two ago and couldn't find all of the necessary pieces at the local home depot or lowes so that was our problem with making it cheaply. Plus, at $45 I don't think I could hardly buy all of the pieces for that price especially if you consider the labor time.

Thanks again I always love reading the replies, so nice to have quilting buddies even if they are scattered all across the earth!

stitched with love.

I made one and did have alot of trouble with the snaps that hold the fabric on. Of course I never thought to have my husband do any grinding or sanding.

That is a great price my husband made mine for me so I know how much it costs and the labor that goes into making one. Grab it!!!!!!!
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Blog Entries
    just for the record. Q Snap frames have ribbing inside the snap on sections that help hold the fabric in place. before i got the Q snap one, i'd gotten one from J C Penneys. i hated it. then yrs later got the Q snap one. it's great. i kept the tilting legs from my first one and gave the rest away.

Blog Entries
    Buy it! You may not use all the time but it's very useful to have when you do have a need for it. I don't think I'd like the homemade one at all. The pvc you buy is thicker and heavier then the kind used for the frame.The joints are bigger and there is all those markings on the regular plumbing pvc pipe. The home store pvc is heavier and thicker then the pvc used for the frame.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    It's a good price. The problem I had with that frame was that my back did not like me bending over it for long periods of time. Even propping up the rear legs did not help enough. It's a nice frame for those who don't have back issues.
    I also have this frame. It's a good price, but the only chair I could find that was comfortable to quilt from was a straight back chair in the kitchen. I prefer to quilt with a hand held PVC snap frame that can sit in my lap while I sit on the sofa. (Sort of like a giant hoop only square)

Blog Entries
    The next question, is where do I find/how do I make the "tilts" that everyone is mentioning?

stitched with love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieCMilligan View Post
    The next question, is where do I find/how do I make the "tilts" that everyone is mentioning?
    http://www.qsnap.com/

Item # - QT2
    - Q-Tilt2
    Retail Price - $13.25

The Q-Tilt2 is the handy non-adjustable leg extension kit that will raise the back of your Q-Snap Floor Model about 9" for a more comfortable working angle. Two leg extensions per kit. Call us if you'd like to add this to the purchase of your frame and receive special pricing!
    Got fabric?

The clamp on pieces can be substituted with greenhouse clamps..I used my frame very briefly. It was hard on the back because I was constantly twisting my body to get to areas..When I move I will try it again as I should have room to use a rolling chair and go around to where I need to be. I have several sizes of the lap size pvc frames and love them!

Blog Entries
    I looked up greenhouse clamps and found this:
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/snap-clamps

Had never heard of them, but they look great!

I've had my Q-snap for about 2 years now - I got it on craigslist for $20!! Love, love, love it - I usually hand tie my quilts and find this little gem to be the best second set of hands ever! Go for it!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast