Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG Flannel quilt? >

QAYG Flannel quilt?

QAYG Flannel quilt?

Old 10-04-2020, 03:58 PM

Default QAYG Flannel quilt?

I finally got my flannel fabric and am ready to begin a queen-king size quilt for my son and DIL. I want to make a Turning Twenty pattern. Do you think this can be done Quilt as You go? I was thinking to use Warm and Natural Batting and maybe flannel squares for the backing. The pattern is for 15-16 inch squares. Thoughts and where to go for how-tos . (I realize I can do a general google as wll as search You Tube but was looking for more specific places you can point me to...) Thank you in advance. And thank you for all your advice on flannel. It is all washed and ready to cut......
Old 10-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

I don't see why not. I think I might use a bit wider seam allowances, tho. Please let us see it when you are done.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:51 AM

I see no reason that should get in the way. I have gone to doing most of my quilts as QAYG. Even larger quilts will lend themselves to QAYG. I can't wait to see it all finished. Glad too that you were able to get the flannel worked out.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:18 AM

I am trying to learn to quilt using rulers, so I cut batting and backing in length of the 5 block rows. I am attaching the blocks together directly on the backing and batting (backing wrong side up, batting, block 1 right side up, block 2 on top of 1 right side down and stitch together, flip block 2, iron and repeat) and will return to each block to quilt. I will attach rows but have not figured out which way to do it. I am using Marti Michell's Machine Quilting in Sections that has several ways to attach blocks and rows. Would love any suggestions.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:28 PM

Hi my favorite quilt as you go technique I found on a site, Stitched in Color. She has many tutorials, search for quilt as you go, and her version is easy and I have used it several times with no problems. My full size quilt has been washed and dried several times. I have used her quilt binding method also with great results.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:11 PM

Cheesecat- thanks for pointing out the tutorials on Stitched in Color. I am enjoying several of them.