Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG - A game-changer for me >

QAYG - A game-changer for me

QAYG - A game-changer for me

Old 01-16-2024, 06:13 PM
DJ

Default QAYG - A game-changer for me

I've thought of trying QAYG (Quilt As You Go) for some time now. Recently a friend started making quilts that way from a video by "Just Get It Done Quilts". She was very enthusiastic about it. I was inspired but that method didn't seem to fit the quilt I was working on. I decided to use the Pattern Poole 1 to 3 method. I was able to finish the quilt in relatively short time and am half way done with my second one. These are not large quilts, but I can see how this method would work for much larger quilts on my domestic machine. I'm very enthused and have a couple more quilts lined up!

Here's a link to that specific method. She has 5 different methods, all of which have their specific uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYGip7pOdJU

I'd love to hear your experiences with QAYG methods.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:19 AM

Marti Michell wrote a book called "Machine Quilting in Sections," which I used to quilt strips or rectangles of quilts and then put them together to make a whole. I don't have a lot of room in my sewing room and this works for me. If I feel I need to have a whole bed-sized quilt quilted, I take it to a long arm quilter and "quilt by check" these days.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:33 AM

I only quilt by QAYG since I do my own quilting on my DM. I started out doing it with sashing between the blocks and rows to connect the blocks and then moved to doing it by sections. I also do the QAYG without sashing. I mostly make oversized - queen size quilts.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:46 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I've thought of trying QAYG (Quilt As You Go) for some time now. Recently a friend started making quilts that way from a video by "Just Get It Done Quilts". She was very enthusiastic about it. I was inspired but that method didn't seem to fit the quilt I was working on. I decided to use the Pattern Poole 1 to 3 method. I was able to finish the quilt in relatively short time and am half way done with my second one. These are not large quilts, but I can see how this method would work for much larger quilts on my domestic machine. I'm very enthused and have a couple more quilts lined up!

Here's a link to that specific method. She has 5 different methods, all of which have their specific uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYGip7pOdJU

I'd love to hear your experiences with QAYG methods.
Thank you for posting that link! I've only done a QAYG for one Leah Day quilt along, and it had the strips in between blocks. I didn't mind those, and liked working on a block at a time, but never thought of it for other projects. Watching the Pattern Poole videos, it made me realize that this method is great if you have bits of batting leftover that are big enough to do a block at a time. I can definitely see doing it for a sampler or BOM quilt.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:07 AM

I like Carolyn Forster for her style of QAYG without sashing. This is the book I used for reference. You can do it in sections or block by block. Quilt As You Go: A practical guide to 14 inspiring techniques & projects Paperback

Here is a very short video of how she does it. Quilting on the Go Tip from Carolyn Forster