Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG-Hexagon Help!! >

QAYG-Hexagon Help!!

QAYG-Hexagon Help!!

Old 06-21-2021, 10:01 AM

Default QAYG-Hexagon Help!!

I finally got the quilt as you go 2.5 inch hexagon template, and I tried a few "practice blocks" this morning. I wanted to hand stitch them--which is no problem. I made 3 and they are indeed quick and easy (I enjoy hand stitching). I used the blind stitch and it went very quickly. But I had an Oh no thought. How will the batting not shift around if it needs to be washed? I am making a Christmas tree skirt and table runner first--but loved the concept for a bed quilt. If I am not machine stitching it down, how will the batting not bunch up in the washer? I do catch the batting some with the blind stitch but is that enough? I tried looking for more tutorials given by Daisy and Grace (the designer of the template)--but all of them are on how to stitch them together--not the individual blocks themselves. Has anyone done this block by hand? Do they need further stitching so that the batting doesn't move? Thanks----
Old 06-21-2021, 10:42 AM

Some do stitches around the inside of the hex's. some do French Knots in the centers. all depends on how the batting is caught, in seams or not. hand stitches would look quite nice in hexagons. dresses them up a bit more.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:18 AM

Hmmm . . . I've done a whole quilt top with hexies but I did not do QAYG. I think you would definitely need to catch the batting around the edges or it would shift with washing.

I had some time so I went and looked around a bit. Most of the tutorials I found that actually showed you how to put them together either a) didn't seem to address the batting or b) used a decorative stitch either by hand or machine that went thru to the backing thus anchoring the batting.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 06-21-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:07 PM

I've made 3 of these quilts so far. I hand stitch down the back to the front like you did. I use a decorative machine stitch to stitch the hexies together. It grabs the batting. Just for fun on one, I went and tied the centers. It's really cute with the threads in the center.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:46 PM

You could add a layer of misty fuse in the center or use fusible batting.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I've made 3 of these quilts so far. I hand stitch down the back to the front like you did. I use a decorative machine stitch to stitch the hexies together. It grabs the batting. Just for fun on one, I went and tied the centers. It's really cute with the threads in the center.
Would you be willing to post any pics of your 3 hexi quilts? I was thinking that I would need to use invisible thread (never used it in the bobbin but another adventure--right) and do the zig zag stitch bc I am using so many different Christmas fabrics. So it sounds if I do this, then I wouldn't need to do any other quilting to secure the batting.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:35 PM

I should add framed hexagons (hickory nut) is something you might try. you have the hexagon, the batting, and the backing fabric cut with seam allowance. fold over backing 1/4 inch and over again onto the hex, stitch in place as you go around. when all hex's are done, sew together. no worries then about batting moving in wash.
This will help you later on. Tutorial on Hickory Nut quilt blocks
Good luck.

Last edited by Quiltwoman44; 06-21-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
I should add framed hexagons (hickory nut) is something you might try. you have the hexagon, the batting, and the backing fabric cut with seam allowance. fold over backing 1/4 inch and over again onto the hex, stitch in place as you go around. when all hex's are done, sew together. no worries then about batting moving in wash.
This will help you later on. Tutorial on Hickory Nut quilt blocks
Good luck.
Yes--that is basically the template set that I am doing.The template is a 2 part--you called the inner one a nut--the one that I have came from Missouri Star and was designed by Daisy and Grace. However, in my original question, and the reason for my post was that I am not using a sewing machine to top stitch the turned in portion onto the center hexagon. I am blind stitching them. So my question was in regards to if in doing so, (as the original designer did) does the batting move around without additional tacking it down or quilting.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:41 AM

Heathermom2opmc, if I can get my phone to send photos, I will be happy too. Since the last update, it's been acting funny and won't send. I made a Christmas one also using red and green as backs. I used gold as a joining thread color, turned out great.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:31 AM

Here's a photo of my Kaffe hexi quilt. It's the closest I get to the stitching (and Cleo). I went thru my machine and tested different decorative stitches. Any stitch that was the same on both sides. This is before washing, after washing it came out fine.You can see my little ties in the center. Not necessary but I like the look. I don't have my Christmas one photographed yet.
Attached Thumbnails 1-cjq6mv_qxpmqupjgfutvtimpx-bzqg7lonlyi_goknco1vbmk-nracgmva773xayvtcs2vcklrm6ljba_xneql1h_9xvqq.jpg