Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG mitered border >

QAYG mitered border

QAYG mitered border

Old 03-06-2022, 07:14 AM

Question QAYG mitered border

Hi, I'm a relatively new quilter, i've made several quilts with non-mitered borders using stitch n flip method. I'd like to add a 2-piece border but mitre the corners on my current quilt (top is done and quilted). I dont really care if the backing border is mitred but i'm a bit puzzled about how to do the top border, I'm thinking I should just add the top border and miter the corners then sew the backing border with batting attached with the fusible tape, but with non-mitred corners, then quilt them together all around... does anyone have any other ideas?? thank you...
PS I did find an older thread on this from 2020 but there was no real solution
Old 03-06-2022, 07:27 AM

I just typed in QAYG mitered boarders and the internet came up with quite a few youtube videos. I was going to suggest some, but I think it is better for you to find the one that works for you.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:34 AM

Thanks, I did google it and there were several on QAYG Borders but not mitered corners I'll try again.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:16 AM

I like this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MAlpxtcmxM It isn't for QAYG, but if you can think it though with trial and error and make it so. Perhaps make a pot holder size of fabric to work out the kinks. I think with this way, you would need to do the borders with 'no sashing' type of QAYG.

If you use this video for the miter (link above) I would completely do the front fabric layer and then do the back, then put in the batting, using a fusible or batting tape at the mitered part.

You could quilt the border with keeping the main quilt to the left of your sewing machine to keep just the border under your needle and machine.

This is the video I like for 'no sashing' a QAYG quilt if that helps to picture it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcIcgDFmzM

Does that help?

Last edited by berrynice; 03-06-2022 at 10:24 AM. Reason: edited to make it clearer