Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QAYG question >
  • QAYG question

• QAYG question

Old 05-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Default QAYG question

I am making a quilt for a graduation present for a student on my bus. I have known her since head start and her family are dear friends. She has cereble palsey (sp?) so every step is a challenge. She will be going to college and I will miss her. I have spray basting so I will try and use that instead of fussible batting. I am going to sew together the batting to make it 60 x 80. You add strips around the center diamond shape to complete the quilt. Will this hold it securely enough as it will be handled a lot in and out of the machine. I will iron each strip after it is sewn down. http://www.homespunhearth.com/free-d...pe-diamond.pdf

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-04-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: replace copyright image with link
    Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 AM
    Power Poster

I can't open the picture on my iPad but check the quilting requirements on the batting package. Are you QAYG blocks and then joining them or working from center panel outward? A central panel with consecutive borders added to get to the size would probably require some quilting around the motifs in the panel.
    Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 AM

You take strips and sew them around the diamond shape I couldnt get just the picture to download only the pdf. I am computer challenged so I m sorry you keep adding strips which makes it quilted as you go around.the back is one big piece
    Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
    Power Poster

and your question is???
    Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 AM

I did basically the same thing with a king sized duvet cover. You start with the center square on top of the batting and backing, sew that down, then add the next strip and sew that down to the sandwich and so on. When I made mine, I top stitched on top of the seam to keep the seam secure. After top stitching it, the quilt is very secure and looks pretty. You could easily do a narrow top stitch and it would secure the quilt and make it look quilted. I found this video (http://youtu.be/rl_OPPpXNLM) on youtube if you need additional instructions.
    Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    and your question is???
    My question is can I use basting spray instead of fussible batting
    Old 05-04-2013, 02:02 PM

The spray basting should (I only use 505 and find it holds well) hold the batting to the backing long enough for you to sew all your strips. Once the strips are sewn it will also be quilted so the spray glue won't matter anymore.
    Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 PM

One lucky girl. I drive too. I have 160+ students . I am trying to think of what to give them on the last day. On my kindergartner route I going to make them bags for the beach . There are only 9 of them.
    Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by skothing
    One lucky girl. I drive too. I have 160+ students . I am trying to think of what to give them on the last day. On my kindergartner route I going to make them bags for the beach . There are only 9 of them.
    This girl is so special, I cant do it for all of them, but the effort she puts forth is amazing.Just to watch her walk just wears me out, but she just does it.
    Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 AM

I love this pattern, but not so sure I'd want to make it in the Quilt as you go method. Has anyone made this design just as the quilt top, then quilted it the normal way? I'd be afraid that some of my strips would start to get a little bit wavy as I build it out if I do the QAYG way.