Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG with solid half and strings >

QAYG with solid half and strings

QAYG with solid half and strings

Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 AM

I am sure this is on here, but I cannot find it. When making QAYG string blocks, I want 1/2 each side to be solid...opposite on the other side. I know to cut the batting, cut a solid square diagonally, put half on right side on one side, the other on the left side on the back, then strings. Those of you who are familiar with the block will probably understand what I mean, though it doesn't seem to make sense at all when I read it! How do you START this block? Do you put both triangles on, one on each side, kind of overlapping? How do you start the strings? I am so confused!!!! Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60764-1.htm
See if this is what you are looking for.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Start with the triangle, then add the strings on to the side. :D:D:D
Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I have never cut the batting on the diagonal...use that for the base. ONly cut the fabric for the large triangle on the diagonal. I then put a triangle on one side, lay the first strip on top right sides together as tho to sew them then pin approximately on the seam line..pins paralelling the seam (not traditional way of pinning, but these will come out before stitching). Make sure that these pins show thru to the other side clearly. (You could also baste these on if you want..the stitching will be covered up on the other side)

Now, turn the batting square over and you should be able to see the pins (or the basting) you put in. lay the second triangle of fabric right side up and opposite the triangle on the reverse, then lay your first strip on this right sides together and pin both down - again, marking the seamline with pins = check the location of the pinline or seamline from the first side is in a position to be caught when you make the seam on this side - if you've followed the pattern instructions for cutting the triangles you should be OK.

Then reposition pins to be able to take them out as you stitch - on both sides! - and stitch the seam line on the second side. This seam should catch all four pieces of fabric on both sides. If you basted the first side and basting stitches show when you iron it open, just take those stitches out. Make sure you have enough seam allowance on both sides to hold your pieces in place = and go on the the strips on one of the sides.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

here is one book on QAYG
http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...oks/4N0450.php
and then this one
http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...ks/RevQlts.php
but it seems like one book was out for half square triangle strip blocks too.
just take your square of plain fabric,batting and backing. start sewing strips on only one half of the square through all layers. then flip over and stitch strips on opposite side. that will make the whole block quilted as you go! just can't find the pattern. seems like it was Georgia Bonesteel.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I PM'd Ditter and she found this tute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSbrkVDN0o
hope it helps.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. They were all wonderful. I think what Ditter found was what I needed more than anything. Both half squares and first strings are sewn at the same time in the middle, then you work both ways. That's kind of what I thought, just couldn't get it straight in my mind. I knew I had seen it here somewhere, but just couldn't find it. Thanks again to all of you.

Quilted Peace