Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q'nique 15 Question >

Q'nique 15 Question

Q'nique 15 Question

Old 01-17-2021, 04:21 PM

Cool Q'nique 15 Question

Does anyone have a Q'nique 15R? I am having so much trouble getting a good tension on it. I was trying to use a Sulky size 40 weight thread but couldn't get it set, top thread pulling through to bottom, I had loosened the bobbin tension thread. Top thread breaking, loosened top tension, didn't help. Switched to another thread, changed needle, nothing. Switched to Connecting Thread size 50, adjusted bobbin tension, top tension, tension is actually looking good but thread is breaking every 3 to 5 inches. I having been trying to get this going for a week now. Working on it until my frustration level, and probably my blood pressure, is off the charts. walk and come back the next day to do it again. Does anyone have any ideas I haven't tried? Thanks for any help or encouragement. Thanks also for letting me rant a minute.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:10 AM

I have the Blok Rocket equivalent to your machine. Just a thought to the thread breakage, have you tried loosening the quilt on the frame by a click or two? Sometimes if you have the quilt sandwich too tight on the rollers you will get thread breaking.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

LeahDay.com has a really lot of videos on that machine and shows how to do the tension.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:18 AM

Some ideas...bobbin tension should be adjusted first...have a look at Jamie Wallen's video which I'll attach.
Is your needle the right size for the thread? 40 weight will take a 110/18 or even a 120/19.
Have you dropped your bobbin holder lately? If it becomes out of true, it won't work correctly.
Are all your threads in the the thread path correctly? Your thread isn't getting wrapped around the pin at the spool?
Change your needle...it may have a burr on it.
Check your connections underneath that attach your machine to the track system. I spent two days trying to fix a thread break only to find out that one of my connections was loose that connected the machine to the roller system underneath. (Can't think of the technical terms.)
Tension video
Watson
Old 01-18-2021, 09:57 AM
mkc

What are you using to wind the bobbins? Are they possibly wound too tight or loose, resulting in uneven tension? Or a warped bobbin if wound too tight?
Old 01-18-2021, 01:21 PM

It could be the Sulky thread. It's too weak for my longarm.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Is your bobbin thread in correctly? I had that problem with my Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:16 PM

I had the same problem with my 15 Pro.....for weeks! I finally got the thread to stop breaking by using a 40 weight thread on top and bottom line (both from Superior Threads) in the bobbin. The top thread pulled hard through the tension disk but was eye lashing on the bottom. I have my bobbin set much looser than I have seen recommended. The top thread still pulls pretty hard but my tension is finally right. To stop the thread shredding I went to Organ size 16 needles, my machine hated the needles sent with the machine.
Good luck, I know it is frustrating but keep at it, you will find what your machine likes.
Marilyn