Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quaker

I have an old frame that has Quaker Arrow Point printed on it. I originally that it to be a quilting frame but from readings from this forum wonder if it may be a curtain type frame. When I was child, I am 75 now, I remember my mother used it to quilt, this would have been in the late 30's or early 40's. The two longer sides are hinged in the middle for more compact storage. I have not been able to connect the upper right corner and wonder if I have the correct side. It has adjustments for the 2 right corners. I do not plan to use it but will probably give to a non-profit organization. Can anyone help.

Blog Entries
    Can't help there, but welcome from Idaho!

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome from California! I can't help you with the frame - maybe it was something she created.

I am no help But Welcome from NY

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    is this it?
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/1969158127.html

scroll down to see the picture...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    is this it?
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/1969158127.html

scroll down to see the picture...
    Wow, that brings back memories! I can remember helping( probably just in the way!) my mom stretch lace curtains on one like that. I sure got a lot of pin pricks!!LOL

to me it looks like the curtain frames my grandma used to have. Her quilt fram was different.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

Welcome!

I bought the curtain stetchers at a yard sale for 2.00 several years ago. Hope my husband hasn't thrown them away.

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I am going to put the frame together today to see if it is all there. Strange, I thought Google had everything but I could find no info on my Quaker frame, maybe I didn't look hard enough.
    Thanks again.

Ponca in Fort Smith, AR

I was not able to find any information from non-craigslist type sources, on Quaker Arrow Point as a quilting frame, only as a curtain stretcher. Should be pretty easy to tell the difference if we could see yours.

Banned
    hello from New Hampshire

Looks just like the one Watterstide sent from Caigslist. I'm still trying to figure out the bottom connection of the sliding bar.
    I appreciate all these responses. Ponca

Quote Originally Posted by Ponca
    Looks just like the one Watterstide sent from Caigslist. I'm still trying to figure out the bottom connection of the sliding bar.
    I appreciate all these responses. Ponca
    That's a curtain stretcher, not a quilting frame. The pins prove it. Quilts were not attached with pins like that because the upward pull on the thread would pull the quilt off the pins, not to mention all the holes you'd put in your arm while quilting on it.

I think probably the reason all those sellers call them curtain stretcher/quilt frame is so they can charge more. Curtain stretchers go for $20-$30 and quilting frames for $75-$100. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...tcher-complete

I agree with you Ghostrider. My mom had curtain stretchers like that with nails in them. You washed the curtains, startched them and hooked the edges on the nails to stretch them. Then you let them dry. They are adjustable so you can use them on any size curtain. She had some small ones to use on crocheted place mats. I used to help her put the curtains on.

Well it looks like I have a curtain stretcher. I could have sworn my mother used it for quilting. Does anyone have a picture of a quilt frame? I bet my piece could be used for quilts being careful not to stick fingers and other places. Does anyone have a picture of an old commerical made quilt frame they could post?

This one is probably credible since it is on exhibit in a museum. http://www.wanderingeducators.com/be...io-part-1.html The common factor with quilt frames is that the loaded quilt wraps around both long sides so the area to be worked on can be moved as the quilting progresses.

Thanks Ghostrider now I know. Now I will say I have a curtain stretcher (quilt) frame and let whoever decide what it is. I have seen more curtain frames than quilt frames. Ponca

Could it be a curtain stretcher? My Mom always had ruffled curtains, crisscrossed. she starched them and stretched them to dry on a "stretcher".

From all the info I have gotten it must be a curtain stretcher, however I have seen quilts being made on these things.