Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quality fabric

I bought a bolt of 108" muslin fabric at JoAnn's and the quality is awful. Does anyone know of someplace where I can get good Quality muslin? I like the look and feel of antique quilts and like to use muslin for the backs, but can't find any good fabric anywhere. Help!!!!!

Have you checked Hobby Lobby. I don't know if theirs is better or not, but they have it.

Lately the quality has declined in the items being manufactured outside the U.S. while prices keep rising. Try the Kona from JoAnn's. It's much better.

Blog Entries
    I have been very disappointed in Muslin lately. There are several topics on muslin if you do a search.

I got good quality muslin at my LQS. Muslin is a cheaper grade of fabric but there are different degrees of fabric. The quality is better at a quilt shop.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    I got good quality muslin at my LQS. Muslin is a cheaper grade of fabric but there are different degrees of fabric. The quality is better at a quilt shop.
    I second shopping at your local quilt shop. But if that is not an option for you, Hancocks of Paducah (not the chain store) carries different grades of muslin, and Moda Fabrics makes a lovely muslin.

You might also try a search on http://www.quiltshops.com/

Jan in VA

Marshall Dry Goods has Roc-Lon muslin. Very nice quality.

i only by muslin from the LQS its about the only fabric i buy from there - i do most of my fabric buying online.

Take it back. As long as you have the receipt they should take it back and give you your money back. Even if it's been washed. If the quality is bad it's just bad. They could purchase better stuff.

I got some Kona as well, it was quite nice. The cheaper muslin was in the same aisle and no comparison. quote=JackieG]Lately the quality has declined in the items being manufactured outside the U.S. while prices keep rising. Try the Kona from JoAnn's. It's much better.[/quote]

Even the Fruit of the Looms are thin enough to sift flour!

I have bought the extra muslin (108" and 120") from Fabric.com for backs and really love it. I have bought several bolts of muslin - unbleached, bleached and tea-dyed - in various widths and have always loved the quality and feel. It is a really nice smooth almost sateen finish. I have even used the bleached to dye my own backs. AND their free shipping starts at only $35. I have never been disappointed with anything that I have bought there. And they also carry the bamboo/silk batting which I just LOVE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    Even the Fruit of the Looms are thin enough to sift flour!
    Way too funny! Thanks for the laugh today!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    Lately the quality has declined in the items being manufactured outside the U.S. while prices keep rising. Try the Kona from JoAnn's. It's much better.
    I like Kona's muslin; also buy top quality from my LQS when they're having a sale.

Blog Entries
    The Joann's I go to have different grades of muslin, what I buy has worked very well for me :D:D:D