Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality fabric >

Quality fabric

Quality fabric

Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
Hello friends,
I have my laptop set right next to my sewing table, so when I stop cutting or sewing I read what is being said here, as I am new I am trying to learn everything I can
I see many people mentioning "quality fabrics". What goes into a quality fabric and how can a newbie tell the difference?

Thanks!
David
This is my test for 'quality' fabric. How does it drape?
Take an unused fabric softener sheet, open it up and drape it over your hand. Now take a used fabric softener sheet and do the same thing. Notice how 'limp' the used sheet is. That is how 'unquality' fabric will drape. The quality fabric will drape like the unused sheet. Generally fabric from Wal-Mart, Jo-Anns etc is not quality fabric.
Quilt store fabric is quality fabric (that's why it costs more). Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM

After reading through the replies, I would agree that with careful shopping, you can find fabrics at some of the non-lqs fabric stores that are 'quality'. But be careful of looking for brand names on the end of the bolt... In some stores, the bolt cards are reused without being relabeled. (Ask me how I know.)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Quality fabric is important. You are going to put the same amount of time and work into cheap fabric as you would good fabric. The good fabric will last much longer and wear so much better. The dye won't fade. You can feel the difference in the weave of the fabric. The good stuff has a higher thread count and is a tighter weave.