Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Queen sized quilt measurement question. >

Queen sized quilt measurement question.

Queen sized quilt measurement question.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Red face Queen sized quilt measurement question.

I have been working on black/white/red geometric quilt top. My mom saw it and wanted it for herself...LOL. Now I am a stand still. 87 inches long at this time She wants it to tuck under then over to cover her pillows. I am at a loss as to how much to add to the top of the quilt for the pillow cover.
We threw it on her bed to see where it "falls" when placed properly. There is about 5 inches that lay up on top of the pillow without being tucked under.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Cindy in TN
Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Without seeing a picture of your quilt top, kind of tough to give advice. Did you put any borders on the quilt?? If you need to add 5" you might start looking thru patterns to see anything that would compliment the top. There are patterns called seminole that piece at a 45 degree angle and there are many geometric designs to choose from. I just Google this:

Seminole quilt border and just click onto the photos. Hope you see something that will work. There are also free patterns.

Good Luck !!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:27 PM

How about putting it back on your Mother's bed and pinning extra fabric to the quilt top.
Then tuck it around the pillows, measure and you'll have the perfect amount.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
How about putting it back on your Mother's bed and pinning extra fabric to the quilt top.
Then tuck it around the pillows, measure and you'll have the perfect amount.
Great idea, I'm going to use that one!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Remember that how the quilt will look will depend on the amount of blankets, etc, on the bed. so, when you check for size think about putting on the most blankets she ever uses.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

put the quilt on the bed again and tuck under the pillow. I think that would be at least 12 inches used there. then see how "short" the quilt is to the bottom of the bed and adjust your pattern then.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 AM

I have a chart that says for a queen with 10 inch tuck and 10inch drop(sides), 80 X 100. I guess just add from there if you want it longer. It advances the measurements for the drop sizes but all list a 10 inch tuck. This is negotiable with the size pillows your Mom has.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM
pw6

Default queen size measurements that I use

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew View Post
I have been working on black/white/red geometric quilt top. My mom saw it and wanted it for herself...LOL. Now I am a stand still. 87 inches long at this time She wants it to tuck under then over to cover her pillows. I am at a loss as to how much to add to the top of the quilt for the pillow cover.
We threw it on her bed to see where it "falls" when placed properly. There is about 5 inches that lay up on top of the pillow without being tucked under.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Cindy in TN
I make all my quilts to hang 12" to 15" off both sides and the bottom of the bed.. so a queen for me is 104" square.. king 110"square at least.. good luck
Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 PM

I want all of my quilts to hang 15-18" on each side, so minimum 15" on all 4 sides, and that 15" can be used for the fold under and back over the pillow. I would agree with others here that 12" is needed for the fold under the pillow. If I remember right, a queen sized bed is 72x80, so I would want something around 102 x 110".

For reference, a king sized batting is 120x120, and a king bed is 80x80, which probably gives you an 18" overhang if you don't use quite all the batting.